I gotta get me one of these!

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.

I gotta get me one of these!

Postby pedalcrazy » 05 May 2010, 23:41

Ive been drilling my enclosures with a cordless drill and a Uni-bit from day one. I think its time to upgrade. I don't have a lot of space in my home so this is perfect for my small batch production. Just thought I would share this new discovery with everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pedalcrazy

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: I gotta get me one of these!

Postby KindaFuzzy » 06 May 2010, 00:43

I've got one of those too, works great. Fits a Mastercraft brand rotary tool as well if any other Canadians are wondering.
KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 296 times

Postby mcaviel » 06 May 2010, 08:20

I Use these!
So simple and accurate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcaviel
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby RnFR » 06 May 2010, 13:42

i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 170 times

Postby lolbou » 06 May 2010, 17:40

RnFR wrote:but for enclosures, i use the real thing

You mean this? :D It's the model I have...

I do have the Dremel stand too, nice for PCBs, but it loses precision in hole placing when bits are larger (it does flex a bit, ha ha, nice one! :wink: )...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.
lolbou
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 231 times

Postby pedalcrazy » 06 May 2010, 18:54

RnFR wrote:i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.

I wish I had the room for the real deal. Ill have to settle for the little guy. Or, is it not worth it and should I stay with hand drilling with my cordless?
pedalcrazy

Postby pedalcrazy » 06 May 2010, 22:33

ibodog2 wrote:
pedalcrazy wrote:
RnFR wrote:i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.

I wish I had the room for the real deal. Ill have to settle for the little guy. Or, is it not worth it and should I stay with hand drilling with my cordless?

I think it really depends on the quantity of pedals you plan on doing and whether you've got some other use for it (and space to store it). :) I've got that dremel one you posted and I have a hard time keeping the chuck tight on the bit when drilling an enclosure with it. So I went back to the hand drill.

I'm glad I posted this thread, otherwise I probably would have dumped money into the Dremel press. Thanks to everyone's great feedback Ill save some coin!
pedalcrazy

Postby timbo_93631 » 07 May 2010, 00:20

I got this one on sale from grizzly.com for $89 last year when I was outfitting my new shop. You just can't beat the precision you get even from a cheaper drill press like this. I build amps and effects and I use it regularly. I have even done some custom pickgaurds and pickup rings with it set for high speed using plastic routing bits. Great for staking turrets too! The depth gauge was a joke though. It has paid for itself already.
g7942.jpg
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH
timbo_93631
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby pedalcrazy » 07 May 2010, 01:59

timbo_93631 wrote:I got this one on sale from grizzly.com for $89 last year when I was outfitting my new shop. You just can't beat the precision you get even from a cheaper drill press like this. I build amps and effects and I use it regularly. I have even done some custom pickgaurds and pickup rings with it set for high speed using plastic routing bits. Great for staking turrets too! The depth gauge was a joke though. It has paid for itself already.
g7942.jpg

I was just looking at one of these on line. I'm stoked to hear it works good. They look pretty compact as far as drill press go.
pedalcrazy

Postby bigmufffuzzwizz » 28 Mar 2011, 05:30

It would be so sweet to have a nice drill press set up!
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!
bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Electronics Tools