I gotta get me one of these!

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
pedalcrazy
Information

Post by pedalcrazy »

Ive been drilling my enclosures with a cordless drill and a Uni-bit from day one. I think its time to upgrade. I don't have a lot of space in my home so this is perfect for my small batch production. Just thought I would share this new discovery with everyone.
Attachments
ldrer0220.jpg

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

I've got one of those too, works great. Fits a Mastercraft brand rotary tool as well if any other Canadians are wondering.

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

I Use these!
So simple and accurate.
Attachments
1_141025097.jpg

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

RnFR wrote:but for enclosures, i use the real thing
You mean this? :D It's the model I have...

I do have the Dremel stand too, nice for PCBs, but it loses precision in hole placing when bits are larger (it does flex a bit, ha ha, nice one! :wink: )...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

pedalcrazy
Information

Post by pedalcrazy »

RnFR wrote:i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.
I wish I had the room for the real deal. Ill have to settle for the little guy. Or, is it not worth it and should I stay with hand drilling with my cordless?

pedalcrazy
Information

Post by pedalcrazy »

ibodog2 wrote:
pedalcrazy wrote:
RnFR wrote:i've got one as well. great for drilling pcb's, but for enclosures, i use the real thing.
I wish I had the room for the real deal. Ill have to settle for the little guy. Or, is it not worth it and should I stay with hand drilling with my cordless?
I think it really depends on the quantity of pedals you plan on doing and whether you've got some other use for it (and space to store it). :) I've got that dremel one you posted and I have a hard time keeping the chuck tight on the bit when drilling an enclosure with it. So I went back to the hand drill.
I'm glad I posted this thread, otherwise I probably would have dumped money into the Dremel press. Thanks to everyone's great feedback Ill save some coin!

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

I got this one on sale from grizzly.com for $89 last year when I was outfitting my new shop. You just can't beat the precision you get even from a cheaper drill press like this. I build amps and effects and I use it regularly. I have even done some custom pickgaurds and pickup rings with it set for high speed using plastic routing bits. Great for staking turrets too! The depth gauge was a joke though. It has paid for itself already.
g7942.jpg
g7942.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 4531 times
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

pedalcrazy
Information

Post by pedalcrazy »

timbo_93631 wrote:I got this one on sale from grizzly.com for $89 last year when I was outfitting my new shop. You just can't beat the precision you get even from a cheaper drill press like this. I build amps and effects and I use it regularly. I have even done some custom pickgaurds and pickup rings with it set for high speed using plastic routing bits. Great for staking turrets too! The depth gauge was a joke though. It has paid for itself already.
g7942.jpg
I was just looking at one of these on line. I'm stoked to hear it works good. They look pretty compact as far as drill press go.

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

It would be so sweet to have a nice drill press set up!
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!