automotive clearcoat?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
bassist001
Information
my favorite amplifier: Swart AST
Completed builds: SHO

Post by bassist001 »

Anybody tried some automotive 2 part type clearcoats? I have a box hand painted in enamels that I what to keep from chipping as much as possible. But know nothing at all about the more industrial strength stuff haha anybody have any experience and what kinds could work?

bassist001
Information

Post by bassist001 »

:(

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Absolutely no experience whatsoever, sorry.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface
Completed builds: Lots of mods to lots of pedals

Post by blackbunny »

bassist001 wrote:Anybody tried some automotive 2 part type clearcoats? I have a box hand painted in enamels that I what to keep from chipping as much as possible. But know nothing at all about the more industrial strength stuff haha anybody have any experience and what kinds could work?
I've painted a few diecast enclosures (and a few motorbikes) with 2-pack clearcoats. Works best over a hard basecoat, like say 2-pack colour coats or acrylic lacquer over metal etch primer.

2-pack is not usually recommended to cover softer paints such as enamels, but you can cover Testor's enamels if you carefully spray fine mist coats. If you spray too "wet", the thinners will attack and craze the enamel....which can be a fun thing too.

You might be better off coating with clear Testor's enamel instead....less risk of warping /ruining your hand painted designs.

bassist001
Information

Post by bassist001 »

Awesome!!! Thanks! Do you by any chance know if say the testers clear would be very tough when it comes to rubbing from shoes or the occasional hit from another pedal?

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by blackbunny »

bassist001 wrote:Awesome!!! Thanks! Do you by any chance know if say the testers clear would be very tough when it comes to rubbing from shoes or the occasional hit from another pedal?
A lot of builders on the other forum (DIY Stompboxes) and a few here have used Testor's enamels.
They are the #1 brand in the model car/model aircraft world, and most hobby suppliers stock them.

In my limited experience with them, they are very good quality and give good results. And much easier to use than 2-part paints.

They will certainly chip or show wear marks easier than 2-pack paints, but the weak link in most pedal paint jobs is the primer....you need a metal etch primer to get the best adhesion.

Even 2-pack paints will chip or flake off if the primer and basecoats aren't first class.

bassist001
Information

Post by bassist001 »

O that's very good to know!! Thank you!!! :D

bassist001
Information

Post by bassist001 »

also would you happen to know if the etch would be enough? and just paint on that? or should i try to put another primer on top of the etch?

blackbunny
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by blackbunny »

bassist001 wrote:also would you happen to know if the etch would be enough? and just paint on that? or should i try to put another primer on top of the etch?
I would suggest a primer or undercoat that matches the type of top coats you plan to use, but you can spray colour coats over etch primer successfully if you are careful. The etch primer allows the top coats to adhere to the diecast box.

Ask your paint supplier for advice on compatible etch primer & undercoat/primer. Automotive paints are usually
readily available and the people selling them usually know which types / brands are compatible.

bassist001
Information

Post by bassist001 »

awesome!! thanks! i really appreciate it!! :D