How could i go about replicating Roger Mayer style pedals?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
Tom5150
Information
my favorite amplifier: 10W SE Valve Amp

Post by Tom5150 »

Hi there guys,
A few projects that i have in mind for the next few months are building a Voodoo-1 and also a Voodoo Vibe (thanks to the info here)

I have done a little bit of research and i have found that Hammond make an enclosure called a 1550GBK, which is only slightly bigger in size than the Voodoo Vibe enclosures. These also have the bonus of already being finished in black.

Again, thanks to this forum I have a pdf someone has made that copies the labeling on the VoodooVibe almost exactly.

What i am wondering is how would i go about going from this pdf, to getting the white labeling onto the pedal?

The same is the case for the Voodoo-1, where i wish to copy the original design, which looks like this:

http://liveassets.rationalpathinc.netdn ... fzg_so.jpg

Here is the label i am on about:

Thanks very much
Tom
Attachments
voodoo%20vibe.pdf
(40.49 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

squarefrog
Information

Post by squarefrog »

In my limited experience, I'd say realistically the best way to achieve this would be screen printing it. This may not be a DIY solution. The simplest method however, would be decals. However this would probably end up with you inverting the colours. For example, if you have a white box, you can print black text onto transparent decal transfer and stick that on in the usual method, of course this doesn't exactly replicate the Roger Mayer style.

You can get white backed decal paper, which I suppose you could use. What you'd need to do is invert your PDF, so that black is white, white is black. Then print and transfer that on. I'm not sure how well this would work as matching printer black, to hammond black powdercoat would be tricky. Might be worth trying it on the underside of your pedal bottom, where noone will see.
Attachments
voodoo%2520vibe-inverted.png