Ink for screenprinting enclosure?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
squarefrog
Information

Post by squarefrog »

I own a screen, and we have the necessary equipment (uv box, emulsion etc) at work. What I'd like to know is what ink is suitable for printing onto a powdercoated box? I've only ever printed t-shirts and posters with acrylic based paint.

Would I need to clearcoat it afterwards?

sewage666
Information

Post by sewage666 »

At my work, we just did a series of art prints on plexi glass. Water base ink just rinsed off, I'm imagining that it would do the same on a powder coat enclosure. However, if you're going to clear coat it afterwards, then water base would work (polyurethane is good for clear coat). You can order activator for the water base, too, that makes it more adhesive.

For the plexiglass, we ended up having to use Nazdar oil based ink with a special adhesive added that was recommended to me after talking to a chemist at the manufacturer. Caustic as hell. That was not a fun couple of weeks at work. It would be, however, the best way to screen print on a powder coated box. No clear coat needed.

squarefrog
Information

Post by squarefrog »

ok thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll get away with using anything caustic at work. I wonder if any other oil based paint would work?

I think I might have to move my project to a smaller enclosure so might end up trying to etch that, but I would still like to screen print a coated enclosure.

jb351
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor
Completed builds: lots

Post by jb351 »

Nazdar 59000 series enamel inks.