baking wet paint or clear coat in a toaster oven

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

Hi,

I've had good luck so far baking my clear coats and wet color coats at 150 degrees F for 30 minutes once or twice per coat. Really good luck, actually, I've been getting less dust in my coats and particles because they go into a dust-free chamber very soon after being painted and get hard in there. It also knocks finishing time way down, less of a pain in the neck getting a box looking nice and/or pro

I've just been concerned about safety. The Polyurethane can clearly says, "FLAMMABLE do not put this stuff near heat sparks or flame" but mine haven't caught fire just yet. I don't want to not know the risks though, so I can rest easier leaving the thing alone for a while. Would a higher temperature be dangerous in the toaster oven? Would putting it in too soon (not giving it a minute to air out a bit) be dangerous? would drips pose a serious fire risk?

that said, I would recommend going to a major retail general store and picking up one of these things for $20 or so, sooo worth it! DO NOT USE FOR FOOD!!! EVER unless you want poison in your body. Makes a stinky smell too so you should probably do it somewhere with a fan and/or a window, and not while people are around. LACQUER finishes should never go in an oven due to combustion, so be careful of that as well.

I've also heard you can use the toaster for PCB toner transfer rather than a clothes iron...I'll be experimenting with that soon and can report back on how that goes.

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

What I would REALLY like to know is....
What clearcoat are you using?
Brand names etc.
Every clear coat I have tried baking ends up getting yellow-ish.
Baking at 150 for about 15 minutes.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

You could try buying a can of Clear Satin, or Gloss, Lacquer spray, the stuff I buy has a quick drying time (5 minutes touch-dry) so there's no need for oven drying, the only effect it has is a slight darkening of the paint colour, I don't get any yellowing at all.... :hmmm:
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

JudgeMingus
Information
Completed builds: JH-1 renovation with mods for crisper tone
Tuner/Mute box with loop reverser (for Gilmour 'seagulls' wah effect)
Si Fuzz Face clone
Rat clone
Tonepad Rebote 2.5 echo
Phase 90 clone
MXR noise gate clone
Runoffgroove Professor Tweed
Distortion+ clone
OD250 clone
Fuzz Central Liquid Drive
MXR DynaComp clone
Orange Squeezer clone
Demeter Compulator clone
Skreddy Lunar Module clone
Dual-output buffers (derived from AMZ Super Buffer)
Several more under way!

Post by JudgeMingus »

Dr Nomis, would you mind sharing the brand name of your spray clear?

I have had bad experiences with clear coats so far - I have tried two, one crazes when it dries (which looks quite cool sometimes, but weakens the finish and leads to flaking) and the other tends to develop fisheye and other inconsistencies...

I have had trouble finding the ones usually recommended on the forums as - like you - I am located in Australia, not the US.