holding / mounting enclosure while painting

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

How do you guys hold your enclosure while painting while preventing touching of the paint before it dries?

How do you transfer the box into an oven for baking??

I have been putting the box on a tray and painting that way and then transferring to the oven but I can't reach the edge bits properly using this technique.

I have also tried suspending on a coat hanger but you alway end up with a mark where you hook the hanger in...

Any tips ??

Cheers, Richard.

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

I usually put compatible screws in it (the ones for the cover), to raise it up.
Then CAREFULLY transfer to oven and slide it in.
I use a small pitchfork looking thing I made to lift and transfer.
Its kind of tricky though. I have dropped a few.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I use the plastic cap from the spraypaint can to support the enclosure and place them on an old computer case cover on my balcony, I start with at least two coats of etch-primer, then once that's dried I spray the enclosure with four coats of spray-paint of whichever colour I decide to use, leaving each coat to dry before applying the next, labelling is done with rub-on letraset, then I spray the labelling and the enclosure with 4 coats of clear satin acrylic, this method seems to work fine for me..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

theblackman
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by theblackman »

CodeMonk wrote:I usually put compatible screws in it (the ones for the cover), to raise it up.
Then CAREFULLY transfer to oven and slide it in.
Cool, I might try this!

SpeckStudio
Information

Post by SpeckStudio »

I use toilet paper tubes. The more I can fit under it the better.
Haha, have like 100 of them hanging around now.

I also use latex gloves when handling a box from the time it goes on the TP tube stands until it leaves the oven and cools down.

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

I paint the enclosure and the lid seperately, but at the same time, on two different stands adjacent to each other. For stands I use little rectangular plastic Gerber baby food containers, they are about 1.5" tall, 2.5" long, and 1.25" wide. A 1590B will even fit on one if I flip the container over. I let the paint dry for at least 45 minutes before moving. When I move the enclosure I pick it up by the baby food container and transfer it to my fingertips, only toching the inside of the enclosure, then I gently slide it onto the rack of my toaster oven. I bake at ~200 degrees F for 20 minutes every 2 coats.
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH