Can you use copyrighted images on your enclosure?

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
mojoh
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mojoh »

can someone set this straight for me...

if it was to make a pedal with say a starwars/transformers/futurama etc character on it..and named the pedal after said character...eg bart simpson overdrive...

am commititng an offence if it is for personal use?
am i committing an offence if i sold it? (but i only made one)

SonOfChaos
Information

Post by SonOfChaos »

Yes you have committed an offense.

As long as you just make them by word of mouth I wouldn't worry about it, just don't put them on a website or in print and you have nothing to worry about.

If you tick off the company you will only get a cease & desist letter, unless you are making a ton of money they have no reason to come after you as a copyright violation is mainly civil court not criminal.

Make it and chill.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

:secret:

Apart from the spelling offense, don't worry. But don't tell the whole world. If you start making thousands of dollars of this, let me know, I'll delete this thread.

Anyway, getting a cease and desist letter that says STARWARS on it would be kind of cool and quite collectible, I'm sure :mrgreen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal