Using Plastic boxes

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

Hi Chaps...

As I've bought the wrong power jacks (all metal... Doh!!) I was wondering if i could use plastic boxes... I know there's some pretty sturdy abs plastic boxes out there and was just wondering how to ground them? would it just be a case of running a ground to both input and output audio jacks? or is it not possible to use these boxes? :hmmm: :hmmm:

another thing is that they're cheaper than the metal ones so that would be a nother bonus too!!! :applause:

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

shugs81 wrote: would it just be a case of running a ground to both input and output audio jacks?

YEP!

and its perfectly reasonable to use plastic boxes. there are even some Hammond transparent boxes, although I forget how to find them (the model #s). if you get those you can do shit like put LEDs inside the box. Makes shit look like christmas in a box. Ive done a tremolo in a transparent red box, and ive got another red and a blue at home that MAYBE i'll plop some simple stuff into over the weekend. Here's an example of one that dano @ beavis did:

shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

must understand this electronics malarky more than I thought I did! Already spotted red and blue enclosures... Now I just need clear ones and multicoloured leds!!! Woop Woop!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

shugs81 wrote:must understand this electronics malarky more than I thought I did! Already spotted red and blue enclosures... Now I just need clear ones and multicoloured leds!!! Woop Woop!
I could be keen on one of these translucent ones... please post links if you find them 8)
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

if your in the uk then check out rapid online... Www.rapidonline.com and search for enclosure... You'll see quite a few but there's only a couple that aren't too tall...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

moved to faqs
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

shugs81
Information

Post by shugs81 »

Think that's the first time anything I've started has been moved to an FAQ... I'm Dead Proud!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Hammond 1591 is the ticket

mustang
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mustang »

I've only done it once but it worked well..... I did almost destroy it with my soldering iron a couple of times though!!

that's just a bright white LED inside the case. :D

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

is that one always on? cause it looks like you have another status led on the top. I would think this one is redundant if you have one inside. saves the drilling :thumbsup