Etching die-cast enclosures (like the Moollon)

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
solderboy
Information

Post by solderboy »

Hi All,

i like those Moollon Enclosures very much !!!!!
http://www.moollon.com

And i was in the BuildReport from the Lovepedal Eternity, that die Enclosures can be etched....
Im not very experienced, but i think the Technique is very simple..

can anyone give some hints how to do?

Thanx and Greetings
Solderboy

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Markm has a great tutorial on this but I'm not sure where it's gone. I'm sure there is a link around here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it....

I am Klon.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I was looking for that tut a little while ago and couldn't find it.

solderboy
Information

Post by solderboy »

Hi,

thanx for searching... but no problem... i saw the Build Report (Lovepedal Eternity) and i think based on that it should be easy to do...

like the Moollon, i think that is done by transfering a negative picture of that, what you see and after etching perhaps filled with black color..

If it works like that... its more easy like painting with primer, color, doing the labeling and ending with clear coat...

i'll try on error.... :-)

Greetings
Solderboy

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I would make a negative mask. If you have Illustrator it is really easy to do. I think it's called swap colors in the drop down menus. I haven't used it in a while so I am not exactly sure what it is called.

I would guess press n peel would work best but you could probably to any method of getting a PCB mask on metal. Then take a Q-tip and dab on etchant where you want it.

That's how I would try it.

Kaos
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super Sonic

Post by Kaos »

what is press n peel
The camel is a horse designed by a committee that never met.

platinum321
Information

Post by platinum321 »

Here is a link for etching a pedal enclosure.

http://modman.blogdrive.com/archive/27.html

Here is a link to thread on this forum I started about etching. http://www.phpbbserver.com/freestompbox ... stompboxes

They had tutorials linked there but someone wimped out on us and pulled em. Guess they don't want to share. :roll: Tis ok the first link is just as good if not better tutorial.

I looked at those Moolon pedals and I am not sure they are etched so much as engraved or stamped. Could even be water cut. It may be they are etched but I think it is quite possibly another method.

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

Kaos wrote:what is press n peel
It is a masking film. You can get it at smallbear and take a look at a how to at http://www.techniks.com/how_to.htm

Goop_buster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Goop_buster »

solderboy wrote:
like the Moollon, i think that is done by transfering a negative picture of that, what you see and after etching perhaps filled with black color..

Solderboy
You can do something similar by etching but I actually think that the moollon enclosures are CNC engraved.
I guess I could be wrong though :D

solderboy
Information

Post by solderboy »

Hi,

maybe, that Moollon engraved the Enclosures...

Or is it possible to make those DieCast Enclosures right from the Factory?
by using special casts??

for DIY at Home i think.. etching its good to carry out a Test.. :-)

a CNC Machine is to expensive at the Moment ... *smile*

cu
Solderboy

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Bside2234 wrote:
Kaos wrote:what is press n peel
It is a masking film. You can get it at smallbear and take a look at a how to at http://www.techniks.com/how_to.htm
You really don't need PNP, you can use picture paper as well, as long as it has a papery and a shiny side. Trust me. Some people even use magazine paper for pcbs, but don't know about enclosure though. Anyway here's the

Essential Enclosure Etching Rules (IMHO :D )
- Surface should be clean clean and flat flat. Use a mechanical sander if you can.
- Just pinch a lot of holes in the white areas of the transfer. This will allow air to escape from underneath the toner. Imperative for adhesion
- Apply enough heat (iron on max), but don't heat the whole surface at the same time, then all of the toner melts at the same time and might cause ssmearing
- Don't leave it in the etching bath too long, aluminum eat away much faster tthan copper. Check regularly after rinsing with water and give the alumium air and time to go black, so you can see the progress.

And most important, share your experiences.
have fun,
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

$uperpuma
Information

Post by $uperpuma »

I don't know if Mark's is down for good, but if it is, I'll try to get a new photoessay up sometime in the next few weeks.

Recently did this one for a forumite's Ram Head project.

kinda wanted to keep it :)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Wow Superpuma! That's superclean etching there. What technique do you use?

Yesterday, after jamming the old laserprinter with too thick picture paper for a half afternoon, resorted to magazine paper. Works like a charm. Haven't got the camera around now, but will post pictures later.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Bside2234
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Bside2234 »

I have never actually used Press n Peel. I use label backing from shipping labels. :lol: Has worked perfect so far. I have never etched an enclosure with it though. Just PCB's. I would imagine that it wouldn't be to different though.

platinum321
Information

Post by platinum321 »

[quote="Bside2234"]I have never actually used Press n Peel. I use label backing from shipping labels. :lol: Has worked perfect so far. I have never etched an enclosure with it though. Just PCB's. I would imagine that it wouldn't be to different though.[/quote

Interested in how you go about doing this. Do you use the gloss side?

$uperpuma
Information

Post by $uperpuma »

I use PnP. then I touch it up really well, thin or missed spots in the mask get enamel, then I painters tape the design and give the whole thing a few coats of flat black. delicate etching after that. only a few seconds at a time between rinses.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

$uperpuma wrote:I use PnP. then I touch it up really well,
I only would use specialized material if the result are foolproof. I tried touching up with paint some times, but the these areas were too clean in comparison to where there's mask.
If the transfer to the box is not perfect and a little bit of toner chips off, I don't trust that transfer anymore. I use magazine paper now, but I put an extra paper on top of the tranfer because that irons much easier.
$uperpuma wrote:thin or missed spots in the mask get enamel, then I painters tape the design and give the whole thing a few coats of flat black. delicate etching after that. only a few seconds at a time between rinses.
I don't understand correctly, I believe, but you tape the design then coat it with spray paint and then iron it on? When I tried taping the

Rinsing is important, not because of the water, but because you take it out and allow contact with oxygen, which is essential to etching. Of course, findng the correct etch time is difficult, you tend to overetch.

$uperpuma
Information

Post by $uperpuma »

What I mean by "I tape over the design", I mean once the transfer is made, to make the rest of the box impervious I'll paint everywhere that I don't want etched. and to keep from painting my open areas on the mask I'll tape them up, then remove the tape for etching.

I think my tendency is to push the limits of the mask to get the deepest etch possible, but sometimes you just end up with random pits and marks elsewhere on the enclosure.

Kaos
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super Sonic

Post by Kaos »

modman wrote:I use magazine paper now, but I put an extra paper on top of the tranfer because that irons much easier.
how does this work?
The camel is a horse designed by a committee that never met.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

$uperpuma wrote:What I mean by "I tape over the design", I mean once the transfer is made, to make the rest of the box impervious I'll paint everywhere that I don't want etched. and to keep from painting my open areas on the mask I'll tape them up, then remove the tape for etching.
Ok, right: the sides of the box you mean. I do that before the transfer.
$uperpuma wrote: I think my tendency is to push the limits of the mask to get the deepest etch possible, but sometimes you just end up with random pits and marks elsewhere on the enclosure.
That was my initial tendency too, but I came back from that to avoid pits and such. Also I stopped using filler paint, because no matter what, I sanded it off anyway afterwards. For me the etch (dark grey) is enough contrast. I also tried different colors sometimes. If I would use filler paint again, I would apply it after etching with a brush in a lt of layers to completely fill up the etch.

Kaos wrote:
modman wrote:I use magazine paper now, but I put an extra paper on top of the tranfer because that irons much easier.
how does this work?
The same way as described with picture paper in the links above. Just use glossy magazine paper and print on that. I still punch holes in the untonered areas