Spraypainting

Frequent question about boxes and accessories: painting, etching, clearcoating, lettering, glueing, and so on.
gruforevs
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 reissue

Post by gruforevs »

Hey!

I am (trying) to finish a stompbox. I plan on spraying the whole thing one color, covering parts with masking tape, spraying with another color, repeat multiple times. I tried this today and I ran into a number of problems.
1. Sometimes when applying spray paint, puddles of paint form.
2. Sometimes when applying spray paint, the spray itself pushes the paint out of the way making very thin and translucent areas while other areas have puddles (like in problem 1)
3. When removing masking tape the paint underneath looks very rough (despite the fact that it is gloss paint) and some comes off with the paint exposing either other layers of paint or the bare aluminum box.

Any tips are very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

Hi,
A few spray paint tips, First don't start spraying on the enclosure start off and then towards the enclosure. Second try to make very short presses that way you won't have puddles of paint.

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

Go easy on the spray paint. Hold the can at least 12 inches (30 cm) from what you're painting and do lots of very light coats. Puddling is the result of too much paint being applied, too close to the surface. Decent quality painters masking tape might solve problem #3. Make sure the first coat has dried well before applying the tape too.

gruforevs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gruforevs »

:applause:
Thanks for your help guys.

...Now I just have to get rid of all this crappy paint that's on my box right now :cry:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

did you use an etch primer underneath as well? the paint will be less likely to come off with the masking tape if you do so.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

gruforevs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gruforevs »

rocklander wrote:did you use an etch primer underneath as well? the paint will be less likely to come off with the masking tape if you do so.
I did not. where can this be found?

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

same place you buy your spraypaint.. just called "etch primer".. heaps of different brands available.
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.