Switching help needed.

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

I'll apologize up front for probably not getting my thoughts across clearly.

Let's say I have and OD and booster I want to build into the same enclosure. I want the option to run them independently or stacked. There will be two footswitches, SW1(the OD) and SW2(the booster) and I assume a toggle to choose between single or stacked. With the toggle in the single mode, when I step on SW1 the OD comes on. If I setup on SW2 then the booster should come on without the OD. Now what would happen if I turned SW2 off? Would the OD come back on or would both effects be off? With the toggle in the stacked mode I think everything should operate like you think it would. Now let's throw in another twist. Could you also have a toggle that would switch the order in which the OD and booster were stacked? So your ultimate end result switching options would be -

1) OD by itself.
2) Booster by itself.
3) OD into booster.
4) Booster into OD.

And the final question...can this be done with just switches or are we looking at some sort of relay setup? Thanks.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

1) OD by itself.
2) Booster by itself.
3) OD into booster.
4) Booster into OD.
.....and 5) Bypass :wink:

BJF
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by BJF »

Hi,

Well, it's 1,2,3,4 .....don't ask what we're fighting for and it's 5,6,7,8 open up the Pearly Gate...........

Hm, how about setting that up as two footswitches with truthtable
1/0 for OD
1/0 for boost
then connect a toggle for setting
OD>Boost or Boost >OD

It is usually best to define what would be the most desired to control by foot........

Have fun
BJ