Wiring Question...Need Help.

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Okay,

So I'd like to put 2 pedals in one box. Basically, a Colorsound OD into a DAM Sonic Titan. One input and one output.

Here is how I'd like it to be done:

2 Footswitches. One engages the pedal (master on/off), the 2nd footswitch bypasses/engages the CSOD. BUT, I'd still like the 1st footswitch to turn off EVERYTHING, even if the CSOD is engaged, I'd like it to be cut off when using the 1st footswitch (master on/off).

And, even cooler, but not essential would be to have a toggle switch that would swap the order of these 2 circuits (1 - CSOD into Sonic Titan ____ 2. Sonic Titan into CSOD).

I looked on this forum for this kind of wiring, but I did not see anything. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Its really appreciated!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I know it's not exactly what you want, but you can start here:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... a841b3e85a
Also, you can solve the 1>2 to 2>1 input with a 4PDT switch (in GGG case)

mysticwhiskey
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mysticwhiskey »

This will do your CSOD -> ST with the ability to toggle the CSOD on or off (uses two 3PDT latching switches), but doesn't do the effects ordering:
CSODToSTToggle_800px.png

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Great layout, mysticwiskey!!

Now kinsky, you need a 4PDT like this:
4PDTToggle.JPG
4PDTToggle.JPG (5.56 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=709
and cross inputs / outputs respectively, between boards and switch connections.
That will do the work, but previously, be sure to low you amp volume. You're warned

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Whoa, seriously, thanks you guys. Exactly what I needed! I'll try to slap this together after this weekend.

Also, why lower the amp when order switching? Will there be a loud pop or something?

Have a good 4th!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

kinski wrote:why lower the amp when order switching? Will there be a loud pop or something?
I think it will, most if the effect it engaged, but you can try a very minimum volume to see wath appened.
Any way, if you don't need to swap effects in the fly, it's not a big problem, 'cause most of time you'll need to equilibrate your fx volumes after a swap.
Little con: when you change the order, also change wich switch (1ry and 2ry) is affecting each effect :(

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Cool. I actually prefer the switches that way. So, regardless of the effect order, the left switch will always be the master bypass and the right switch will always engage the other circuit.

Also, I've never worked with 4pdt before. So, would this be how i'd wire it up (obviously the send/return jacks are just the in/out wires off the boards, in my case. And also, I'd ignore the DC and LED connections on this)?

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Could I not use a 3pdt for the order switch? I won't be using LEDs to show the toggle position as toggle switches are easy to see which position they are in.

The only LEDs will be 1 for the master bypass and one for the secondary switch.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Yes! I forgot Dano's option and it's very well done. Of course, if you don't need a led indicator, can be done with a 3PDT; just omit the led side in the 4PDT and you get it.
Any way, if you got some 4's just follow Dano's schem and connect led's section as he shows it in the picture. I found the led useful and easy to implement, but... it's you box, dude! :lol:
You got all the info now, so, just do what you want and have fun, that's the important thing here :thumbsup

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Okay, was about to start putting all of this together, when I realized that the Beavis diagram has only one IN and OUT coming off the toggle switch. How would I wire it so that there are separate ins and outs for each pedal off the 3pdt toggle, so that I can run them to to the 3pdt stomp switches like mysticwhisky drew?

Thanks!

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Anybody? Unwired by CSOD and THEN realized I don't know how to wire this toggle switch.

Hope my question made sense. Its basically that both circuits are wired to this 3pdt toggle switch, yet it only produces ONE input and output. I still need 2 Ins and Outs to run them to the 2 3PDT Stomp switches. I just want the toggle to change which circuit comes out of those 2 INs and Outs off of the Toggle, but it seems this Beavis diagram does not do that, on closer inspection.

Thanks again!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Here's a primary option, just to start.
As I said before, it changes the fx order but also inverts the secondary 3PDT function so it toggles the ST instead the CSOD. I don't know how to avoid it in this configuration :scratch:
I think someone smarter than me can find the solution.
CSODToSTToggle_800px.png
4PDT.bmp
4PDT.bmp (120.29 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Perfect!

Thats exactly what I need, if I understand you correctly.

The 2 position toggle will allow:

1. ST into CSOD. w/ 2nd footswitch turning on/off ST.
2. CSOD in ST. w/ 2nd footswitch turning on/off CSOD.

1st footswitch always acting as master bypass.

Correct?

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Correct :thumbsup
I know it's not exactly what you want, but...

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

actually, that is exactly what i want, changing footswitches and all. Thanks again! Now I just have to track down a 4pdt toggle. Will wire it up when i get it. Thought I could pull it off with a 3pdt. Oh well.

Thanks again!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Check above for the 4PDT

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

First of all, GLAD FSB IS BACK! WOOHOO! :applause: :applause:

So, I finally was able to wire this up. Everything works fine. Except that the CSOD is extremely quiet. Its barely audible even with the volume all the way up. However, both 3PDT switches and the order toggle switch all work as they should. The CSOD was already working fine on its own before I tried to combine it with the ST. Could this be a ground or power issue? I wired both circuits to one DC jack. The ST works as should. Its really just the CSOD.

Thanks for the help!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Recheck solders and measure voltages, as a start

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Well, I doubt it would have anything to do with the CSOD circuit. Cause I have used that exact build on its own for over a year now. I just removed the in out jack, 3pdt and dc so I could pair it up with the ST for this build. I'll keep tinckering around. Sadly, I dont have any thing to measure voltages with at this point.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Well, you need something to measure. No problem with the shared DC if there's no oscillation, in wich case you need to add some extra filtering, as Bajaman points in an old thread that I don't remember right now :oops: but includes one 100R in series resistor and one 220uf to ground after the resistor for each effect.