Wiring Question...Need Help.

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Wow, you just brought up my next question!

Yeah, fixed the CSOD problem. I did not notice a wire got pulled while putting it all together. Works great now, EXCEPT...I get some intense oscillation when both circuits are engaged and set to distort a lot.

I'd love to hear more about this additional filtering. Thanks!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I think this may help. I try it in a Rat-TS-in-a-box configuration and everithing works fine.
I follow Bajaman's advice so I trace it from there. I suggest a search in the forum to locate the proper thread for deep info about.
Attachments
9v SPLIT AND FILTERING FOR 2 FX IN A BOX.doc
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Hey thanks. So, forgive my beginner-ness with all of this. But does this mean I should place the resistor in series with the cap between the 9v wire coming off each effect and the ground pin of the DC jack?

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

No problem at all. Any time somebody answers my questions, I feel great and more interested so, I try to give my own and let the kharma flow
(Shit, I feel a little DrNomis right now 8))
Take your 9v cable that comes from your DC jack, then split it in two, then put each resistor and after each resistor you put each capacitor.
From that (2) joint between resistor and capacitor you're gonna feed DC to each effect.
Ground is ground anywhere you take it, so you can solder (-) leg of each cap to his respective fx ground or you can bridge them and solder to any grounded place you have.
I think there's no big difference.

Let me know if you found it clear enough now :thumbsup

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Okay, so I wired up the extra filtering like you described (or so I think). Coming off the DC are 2 wires. At the end of each wire is a resistor. At the end of those resistors are the caps + and the 9v wires coming of each circuit. The caps - are both to ground.

Not sure if this helped. It still oscillates. Maybe not as much? I noticed that the oscillation come and goes as I move the 2 circuits around. Especially the CSOD. As I move the around the pitch also changes. Unfortunately, the more it is in the enclosure, the more it oscillates. It oscillates when there is lots of gain happening. Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks for all of the help!

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

High gain and some noise go togheter, but sounds like you're "sintonyzing" the noise... Your box is properly connected to ground circuit?
I mean, most of paintings are no conductive and maybe (just maybe, a rare situation) you jacks are not touching the box. :hmmm:

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Yeah, its not noise. Its oscillation. Pitches. Well, I do have a few ground points. But a bunch of them are all clumped together on one of the 3pdt switches....

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I think we're at the point where some clear photos of your work will be helpful. :scratch:

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Well, back from the weekend. I've got the pedal all wired up. Works as it should! Still oscillates at extremely high gain, but I won't ever use it at that level anyway, so it does not really bother me. Quite happy with how it all turned out otherwise! Thank you guys for your help on this! I learn more everyday thanks to this forum.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Congratulations, then. We are all learning and that's the best part.
Still owe us some pictures :wink: ... bah ... not owe us anything, just enjoy it :applause:

kinski
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by kinski »

Ha! I could post some pics, but this is the most circuitry I have ever tried to cram in such a small enclosure. And I did most of the wiring outside of the enclosure, so its not my cleanest build. Its packed! :blackeye