superfuzz switches & pot types & where to buy components UK

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

Hey Stompers,
i'm new here (yeah, I know it sounds a bit gay to say that but i just wanted to excuse myself in advance for asking newbie-type questions) and have decided to build my first pedal (univox superfuzz) based on this verified schematic by ShortScaleMike
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 4&start=20

i have some questions specific to the pedal that i have asked in the thread, but i'm not sure that thread is even alive anymore, so i thought i'd ask them here.

a) What type of pots (how many pins, etc, i've never bought one before) do I need? (they are rated 50kb according to the schematic).

b) What kind and rating of switches (same as above) do I need? Am admittedly confused by spst, spdt and dpdt?
I really like Graemeys two footswitch version which sounds REALLY good in his youtube clip
[youtube][/youtube]
He has one footswitch for pedal on/off and one footswitch to change between Tone 1/Tone 2, so I think they must be different switches, the tone one being more complicated than the on/off because it does more.
obviously I know I don’t know what I’m talking about, that’s why I’m appealing to the wise for help ;)

c) lastly, can someone recommend a UK components site where i can get all the bits in one go at a good price (I’ll leave the box and knobs until I know how big it turns out)? I looked in the beginners section but it only listed places outside the uk. I don’t want to wait forever to get the bits so want to stay uk based.

Major thanks to anyone who can answer one or some of those questions. I have looked through the fsb forum (and read and reread the original thread a couple of times) to try to find the answers myself but can’t find anything that helps.

Cat :)

steve440
Information

Post by steve440 »

Rapid electronics is uk based, not sure who else other than RS,Farnell etc
Try Banzai in germany, i get loads of stuff from them, about a week door to door lots of choice.
Personally I'd try something a bit simpler for a first build, fuzz, silicon bender etc. Do that one in a couple of builds time.

Steve