wiring dc jack

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
TimothyT
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TimothyT »

Hi guys, i just bought a dc jack and i'm not sure how to wire it, here is the pic of the dc jack
Learning in progress...

atreidesheir
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: thd univalve

Post by atreidesheir »

I had the same questions in the beginning. General Guitar Gadgets pdfs are very helpful with good visual examples.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf ... wiring.pdf
Notice the jack wiring. it is pretty universal. Just locate ground and the rest is not.
BTW the dc jack image in your post is gone.
"Contemplate it - on the tree of woe." :Thulsa Doom

TimothyT
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TimothyT »

try this link https://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz3 ... G_3707.jpg
https://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz3 ... G_3719.jpg
hey thanks man, i had one of those dc jack but i realised the one i bought couldn't fit into my onespot powersupply. The one i had is made of metal, is it safe to use? i remember i read a post about using those dc jacks that is made of metal instead of the plastic one is not safe, how true is that?
Learning in progress...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The problem with metal dc jacks is not to do with safety, it's about the fact that Boss and most other manufacturers who use those 2.1mm jacks use the centre=negative convention. This makes the outer wire positive, and since metal jacks tend to have the metal casing and outer wire connected, the jack will short the +9v supply to ground if your metal enclosure is grounded (which it should be for radio frequency protection, and certainly will be if you are using standard metal frame jacks for audio input+output where the outer [ground] connection is almost always connected the metal frame of the socket).

I'd avoid using metal dc jacks for a guitar pedal unless I was certain it was an "isolated" jack, i.e. the outer (+9v) connection was insulated from the metal frame, or if I was using a plastic or otherwise non-conductive enclosure....

Have a look for threads on metal dc jacks, I'm sure more well-informed people have given better explanations elsewhere. The short version is - metal jacks good for 1/4" guitar jacks, plastic good for dc jacks.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

TimothyT
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TimothyT »

i see.. thanks for providing such great info!

I have a typical effects pedal dc jack, but then the pin seems to be a little huge, can't be powered by 9v power supply.. sigh, gona do some more shopping in my local electronic shop :P
Learning in progress...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I think 2.1mm is the standard pin size for all Boss and generic compatible power supplies, adaptors and daisychains: If you buy guitar-related products, it will be 2.1mm. However, in the wider electrical component world, t here is a 2.5mm slightly larger version that does not fit with standard pedals (i have but them inadvertantly before now), but they will look almost identical. Just check that whatever you use is a) 2.1mm and b) either plastic, or ISOLATED metal (if they even exist).
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...