Wiring for switchable input caps?

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

I did some searches here but came up empty. Can anyone help me with a diagram for a switchable input cap mod? I'm building a Jordan Bosstone and I want to have a toggle switch to switch between a .1uF and a .022uF input cap.

Would I just use a SPST switch (on/on)?

Switch Lugs
1- .022uF cap
2- wire from board
3- .1uF cap

And then take the unused leg from each of the caps and wire them both together and to the board. Right?

Just want to be sure I'm doing this right so I can order up the parts. Don't want to order the wrong switch...

Thank you!
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

That will work fine, but what you've described is for a SPDT switch not SPST, which has only 2 lugs (Single Pole Single Throw). If you've only got a SPST, you can wire it up to do 0.022u or 0.122u by wiring the input to the smaller cap and then to the circuit input; then run another parallel wire from the input to one switch lug, wire one leg of the 0.1u to the other switch lug, then run a wire from the other cap leg to the circuit input. This puts the 0.022u as the default input cap, and the switch adds the 0.1u in parallel to give 0.122u.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Perfect. Thanks for clarifying and confirming. :thumbsup
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

I built the Bosstone and the switchable input caps work perfectly! Thanks again.

Just one question though...

Let's say I have the .1uF hooked up to terminal 1, and the .022uF hooked up to terminal 3... when the switch is flipped so that it's leaning towards terminal 1... which cap is in use? I guess I can just get out my multimeter and find out for myself but I'm at work right now and if anyone wants to help me out that would be great.
― Hunter S. Thompson

dcountry13
Information

Post by dcountry13 »

JVanDe7 wrote:I built the Bosstone and the switchable input caps work perfectly! Thanks again.

Just one question though...

Let's say I have the .1uF hooked up to terminal 1, and the .022uF hooked up to terminal 3... when the switch is flipped so that it's leaning towards terminal 1... which cap is in use? I guess I can just get out my multimeter and find out for myself but I'm at work right now and if anyone wants to help me out that would be great.

Lug 3.

Check this out....http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/