Supplying Power to a Bi-Polar Circuit

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
pablomago
Information

Post by pablomago »

I'm finishing a kit I started years ago, a Whisper Compressor designed by Thomas Henry and Jack Orman. The kit was from Midwest Analog Products who seem to be out of business. The design is an opti-comp using two 9V batteries. Is there someway I could use this with an outboard 18 V power supply like the tap off a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power? If so, how would I wire it? I also want to use a 3PDT to power an LED.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

pablomago wrote:I'm finishing a kit I started years ago, a Whisper Compressor designed by Thomas Henry and Jack Orman. The kit was from Midwest Analog Products who seem to be out of business. The design is an opti-comp using two 9V batteries. Is there someway I could use this with an outboard 18 V power supply like the tap off a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power? If so, how would I wire it? I also want to use a 3PDT to power an LED.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.
Hello Pablomago,
The reason no one is jumping on this is because you're asking for a specific answer, but only suppling minute, general
information. There is not enough information to work from! Did your kit come with a power jack? Is there room in your
enclosure to install one? Are your two batteries using standard clip on style power connectors, then connected in series?
Or, if the batteries are in a holder mounted to a circuit board, it may require cutting traces and soldering jumpers to the
each side of the cut traces. The answer to your question "is there some way...", probably yes. As to the question "how...",
the answer is I'm not sure. Below is a link to a site hosted by Madbean that shows a typical wiring scheme. It would work
for your 18v circuit just the same as a 9v circuit ( although you will need to increase the value of the LED resistor to
compensate ). The picture on this link will probably answer your questions.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/ ... ng_MBP.pdf
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson