Wiring a pedal without a 3PDT switch

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
philrob1
Information

Post by philrob1 »

Hiya folks,

Just wondering how you hardware a pedal to be "on" when you put the plug in and off when you remove it? I believe you use mono/stereo jacks for the output/input etc but how would one go about wiring that up?

Thanks

Phil

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

You would still need a stereo jack for the input so the battery would turn itself off when the pedal is unplugged. Mono is fine for the output. The input jack's tip needs to be connected to the input of the effect. The output jack's tip needs to be connected to the output of the effect. The LED circuit could be closed too, but I fail to see the need to have an LED since its always on while plugged in. If you have any questions, a pic of the pedal or a schematic or wiring diagram might help me explain it more visually.

philrob1
Information

Post by philrob1 »

CHEEZOR wrote:You would still need a stereo jack for the input so the battery would turn itself off when the pedal is unplugged. Mono is fine for the output. The input jack's tip needs to be connected to the input of the effect. The output jack's tip needs to be connected to the output of the effect. The LED circuit could be closed too, but I fail to see the need to have an LED since its always on while plugged in. If you have any questions, a pic of the pedal or a schematic or wiring diagram might help me explain it more visually.

Yeah you have answered my question perfectly matey, thank you