Need help with amp switching boxes

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

Hey everyone, I have a buddy with a new Orange amp. The footswitches for the amp's distortion and reverb are huge so I decided to make him some in smaller boxes. Easy enough right? The circuit is simple, basically a DPDT switch wired as a SPDT with an LED and a resistor for channel indication. Here's my problem: the LED comes on, but the channel does not change. I'm stumped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

double check your wiring termination to the switch half not utilising the led :wink:
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

teleman
Information

Post by teleman »

The LED is actually in between the hot and ground wires before the switch, not wired like a stompbox LED indicator off of one side of the switch. When you say wiring termination, do you mean that when the switch is pushed it breaks the circuit? I think I have this right because the LED turns on and off, but the amp channel does not change. I have made several pedals so a circuit like this seems simple but obviously I'm missing something. I think I might just wire up the switch without an LED and see if it works and go from there. On the Orange website it says that most latching footswitches for other types of amps will work. Anyone have a schem for one?