Millenium bypass question

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Haha, all right man, glad to help. :thumbsup
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

cpm
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by cpm »

For the millenium bypass i usually use the scheme at (1)

would variations 2,3 and 4 work as well? Would it make any relevant difference for its use?

Fuzzed
Information

Post by Fuzzed »

Howdy, I have a question! :D

I did a fuzz face, positive ground.
NOW WHAT?! :shock:

How should I make the millenium bypass using the top left schematic?

Details:
I discovered from my experience that the fet is inverted, it should be making a C| shape pointing the right side.
The led is also inverted.
I'm using this schem because here in portugal i can only find bs170's :(

Thanks in Advance :mrgreen:

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

I have Octavia with positive ground.......tried millenium with bs250....burned 3 of them ,and no luck.........did somebody make millenium for positive ground???

boris

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

should be able to do the above and just switch around any polarized parts.

Fuzzed
Information

Post by Fuzzed »

Barcode wrote:should be able to do the above and just switch around any polarized parts.
In polarized parts you mean the diodes and led?

Thanks!

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Fuzzed wrote:
Barcode wrote:should be able to do the above and just switch around any polarized parts.
In polarized parts you mean the diodes and led?

Thanks!
yep.

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

what's better: millennium bypass 1 or 2?

jmwreck
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jmwreck »

darrenbkl@gmail.com wrote:In the Millenium bypass version 2,which diode should I use for the low leakage diode jsut below the 1N914/1N4148?
the diode you're talking about is a diode resist, or diode protect, it serves as a polarity resistor, to repel power, every time you connect a wrong polarity PSU, it is 1N400x, I used x=1, or x=0.. I hope i am right with the function of that diode, but as far as i know, it really serves as a protector, 8)

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

the best diode for the low-leakage is to use the base-collector junction of an NPN transistor. check out the geofex article for details.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

borislavgajic wrote:I have Octavia with positive ground.......tried millenium with bs250....burned 3 of them ,and no luck.........did somebody make millenium for positive ground???

boris
There are two positive ground ones shown here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/M ... milckt.gif
I recommend trying the one with the P-channel JFET. I've had good luck with JFET Millenium.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

In using 2N3904 as a low leakage diode, what pin would be the anode? base or collector?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

cacophony wrote:In using 2N3904 as a low leakage diode, what pin would be the anode? base or collector?
base to ground.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

soulsonic wrote:
borislavgajic wrote:I have Octavia with positive ground.......tried millenium with bs250....burned 3 of them ,and no luck.........did somebody make millenium for positive ground???

boris
There are two positive ground ones shown here:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/M ... milckt.gif
I recommend trying the one with the P-channel JFET. I've had good luck with JFET Millenium.

thanks Martin :thumbsup

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Barcode wrote:
cacophony wrote:In using 2N3904 as a low leakage diode, what pin would be the anode? base or collector?
base to ground.
you mean the base of 2N3904 is connected to ground?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

cacophony wrote:
Barcode wrote:
base to ground.
you mean the base of 2N3904 is connected to ground?
yep. also, i meant to mention, in the above schematic where fuzzed mentioned the mosfets being reversed, this is only true of either the 2n7000 or bs170. Fairchild 2n7000's generally have an opposite 180 degree pinout form the normal bs170. just some info.

KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by KindaFuzzy »

Sometimes a picture helps, I always use this layout for the Neg ground millenium 2:

Using 2n7000 (in back) and 2n5088 (in front) both flat side facing forward, green wire is ground, red is 9v+ and yellow to the footswitch. A BS170 would face the other way. Snip off the left leg or emitter of the 2n5088, 2n3904 etc. The LED can go right on the end with + side attached to where 9v+ connects and the other - leg to the resistor.

cacophony
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cacophony »

Hi guys! Has anyone tried making Millenium Bypass 2 Plus using CD4007 IC?

Njebamin
Information

Post by Njebamin »

I made the millenium 2 (http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/m ... millen.htm) using a BS170 and a collector-base junction of a 2N3904 as the low leakage diode. LED won't turn off. Stays on both when circuit (base of BS170) is connected to ground and not. Am I missing something?

R.G.
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by R.G. »

You have made a mistake in wiring the circuit.

This commonly happens when you get the MOSFET backwards, as there is an internal diode from source to drain. If these are swapped, the LED stays on forever.

There are other ways to get this problem, but this is the most common. One other way is to have a dead MOSFET by having punctured the gate insulation with static electricity.

By the way, the low leakage diode is there as protection for the MOSFET gate. It's not needed for the basic function. The high leakage diode *is* fundamental to the circuit operation, and if there is a secret to how the Millenium works, the high leakage diode is it.