Help with switch wiring

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
fluzo
Information

Post by fluzo »

Hello I'm having trouble with this switch wiring, I'm new to electronics and it's a bit difficult for me, but I'm sure you guys can help me...

It's for a tube amp but I don't think that matters. There are two different capacitors across the volume pot, and that's what I'm having trouble with. I've drawn a 4PDT switch in case it's necessary.

Here's the img url if it doesn't show:
https://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq3 ... switch.gif

Thanks for your help ...and sorry for the "join the dots" drawing, I hope it doesn't insult your intelligence :roll:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

hi Fluzo,

I don't understand exactly what you want to switch... between the two capacitors on the volume pot? Could you explain what you want the switch to do?

thanks
modman
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

fluzo
Information

Post by fluzo »

Sorry, I should be clearer...

It's an EQ bypass switch for a EF86 guitar preamp, I find that the tone controls add lots of "balls" but color the tone quite a bit and I want to be able to switch between the two situations as in my drawing, as I think it would be a great feature. The problem I'm having is that the two configurations have a different bright cap value. C1 is 47pF and C2 is .0047uF, for what it's worth, in case in situation 2 we can just put C1 and C2 in parallel due to the cap value difference.

1. The preamp with just volume and the 47pF cap (C1), tone controls out of the circuit.

2. The preamp with tone controls and the .0047uF cap (C2) across the volume control.

Maybe add one resistor to the switch to avoid popping???

Thanks again for your help.