wiring a dpdt into a pedal board

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

gidday all. I did a bit of a search, but may not have had the right terminology in my query as I couldn't find this one, so here goes.

I'm putting together a pedal board, and want to put a loop out to my tuner. simple enough, and I'm pretty sure I'm right with how I wish to wire it, but am hoping someone here can either confirm or deny that for me.
I don't want to waste a 3pdt on this as I rckon I can get away with using a dpdt.
1-4
2-5
3-6

2-input 1- tuner (output of tuner goes nowhere I will be muting my board)
4-LED
5-earth
3-pedal board, then off to amplifier.
picture attached.. is it right? or do I really need to use a 3pdt for some reason?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

13 views and no comments, does that mean I'm safe to go ahead, or I'm so totally nuts that nobody is going to answer? :scratch:

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

The fact that you still ask yourself that question might make the first option more likely :wink:

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

I don't see any problem.
When the led is lit, the signal goes to the tuner then nowhere. When it's not, rock'n'roll ! :twisted:
But i thought every pedal-shaped tuner (as in the picture) had a mute function. Am i wrong ?
I only give negative feedback.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

JiM wrote:I don't see any problem.
When the led is lit, the signal goes to the tuner then nowhere. When it's not, rock'n'roll ! :twisted:
But i thought every pedal-shaped tuner (as in the picture) had a mute function. Am i wrong ?
it does indeed, but my problem is that the other pedals are picking up some interference somehow from it when it's not muted. the pedal is always 'tuning' even in bypass (true bypass my@rse :x ) so I hear the tuners LEDs lighting up. a new true bypass tuner is $100 odd dollars, a 2pdt is $10.. and since I'm already building the board it's simple math to me :D

Mr. G.
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Undecided
Completed builds: 3-loop + tuner out TB loop pedal
Eternity overdrive (Deaj perf layout)
YATS (many)
BOR
DLS
COT (Briggs mods)
Crunchbox
SHO (several)
Fuzz Factory
Several LM386 based distortions

Post by Mr. G. »

I'm not 100% sure, but it might also be a good idea to add a jumper from 1 - 6 so that the tuner input is grounded when it's switched off. Otherwise, you might still get some interference from the tuner.

Might want to wait for one of the more knowledgeable members to verify this though.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

Mr. G. wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but it might also be a good idea to add a jumper from 1 - 6 so that the tuner input is grounded when it's switched off. Otherwise, you might still get some interference from the tuner.

Might want to wait for one of the more knowledgeable members to verify this though.
nice call.. I'll do that too - thanks :thumbsup

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

okay, so it worked... sorta.. I'm really stumped now :scratch:

this switches perfectly through the pedal chain side, but the tuner fails to show up anything when I switch to it.
I have continuity from the tip of the input jack to the tip of the jack going tho the pedal (DMM on audio - I get the beep and short circuit as desired) but the tuner just does not react to the signal (like the vol is turned down).

I plug directly into the tuner and it works fine, but wont go through the board, so I thought it may be the switch, but I removed it from the equation.
I plugged into the socket, and ran alligator clips from the earth and live lugs on the back of the jack and clipped them to a tuner.. it still fails :x
I used this type of jack (I'm sure it's mono, so not a TRS issue, but the fact that it goes through the rest of the pedal chain and into the amp fine suggests it is mono as I 'think'
here's the type I used...)

anyone got any suggestions on this? I'm completely at a loss now :| :? :cry:

unbeliever
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by unbeliever »

Have you checked continuity between the output to the tuner and ground when you think the tuner is turned on (which you don't want)? Just guessing here...

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

unbeliever wrote:Have you checked continuity between the output to the tuner and ground when you think the tuner is turned on (which you don't want)? Just guessing here...
dood.. now tell me the lotto numbers.
I just read this post about 3 minutes after doing just that and finding a short .. soldering iron too hot on the centre conductor for too long and there was a short..

good man yourself!

unbeliever
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by unbeliever »

Glad you got it sorted out.

Advice given is often the result of having had the same experience... :wink:

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

unbeliever wrote:Glad you got it sorted out.

Advice given is often the result of having had the same experience... :wink:
damn.. so does that mean I need to wait for you to win lotto too? :lol: