Connections, cables, switches

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Shreal
Information

Post by Shreal »

Greetings

This is my first post as a member after joining a few months ago. It's one of my very favorite sites for DIY guitar enthusiasts. It's fascinating to see these great stompbox effects and I can't wait to build many of these pedals. I'm just starting out, but here's my planned first project modification and maybe someone can help correct whatever I'm missing or have overlooked in my plans.

I found this nice small pedal I want to build but I want to keep it mobile and off the floor and attach it to my belt or back pocket and move it with me as I play. I only want to use the effect on/off for brief periods of time and on-demand when I need it. I'd like to activate the pedal using a switch from my guitar, ideally located next to my volume/tone controls. My guitar has a Strat style pickguard and I'll make a new duplicate pickguard for the new parts I'll probably need, described next.

Here's what I'd like to do:
Make a quick connect between guitar and pedal by replacing the stompbox switch with a female mini-jack. Likewise, install a female mini-jack into the guitar pickguard, then run a male/male mini cable connection between guitar and pedal. I'll need to install a toggle switch to activate the mini-plug connection. The toggle will hopefully be the instant-on switch to activate the stompbox switch (now a mini-jack), thereby instantly activating the stompbox. The guitar input cable to the pedal will be roughly 3 feet in length, and the mini cable can wrap around the guitar cable for support.

I've probably overlooked something, but will this plan work? Also, the pedal calls for either LM158 or LM2904 dual opamp, is there a preference for one or the other?

Thanks for any info and suggestions to make this planned connection hopefully work.

Streal

RLBJR65
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by RLBJR65 »

You could replace the stomp switch with a relay, then you could use an spst to make / break power to the relays coil.
Like this one maybe http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... a64g%3d%3d

Shreal
Information

Post by Shreal »

Hey RLBJR65, thanks for the reply and advice. Very interesting, I never thought about a relay. I like your idea, I'll take your advice and build the on/off that way. Thanks very much for the link too.

Shreal