Noob question on connectors

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
Cristovao
Information

Post by Cristovao »

Hi,

I'm new to building my own effect boxes, actually this is gonna be my first project. However I've got a question so if someone could help me out, I'd be extremely gratefull.
My problem is with interpreting the schematics, at least that's where I think it is...

I've got some electronics knowledge, etc. And at university I've already built quite a few circuits. So the part I'm having difficulty with is actually with the part that corresponds to the audio part (I believe).
So the last few days I've been surfing the net looking for a few simple projects to start with, however on most schematics the input connector is drawn as beeing a connector with tip, ring, and shield while the output connector only was tip and shield, check this schematic for instance: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/di ... 0Boost.GIF

So then I went on to check my guitar, and the plug is a tip and shield kind. And this leaves me confused... because the schematic is telling me I should have one kind of connector when I have another kind. And then I'm even more confused because the output doesn't match the input so what happens when I want to connect several effect boxes?

So in the end my question is, should I simply ignore my doubts about this and when building the box use for the input connector a stereo female connector while the plug would be a mono male connector, or should I adapt the circuit to use mono female connectors on the input and output?

Thanks for any help on this subject, and now that I'm at it if anyone could give me advice on a simple project to start with, that would be great! :D I am considering starting with the circuit I showed above.
I am aware that my question is probably very basic, but I'm a bit worried about ruining the guitar or something else, so I really want to be sure before trying it out...

ralley
Information
Completed builds: Tube reamer; Si Fuzz Face; Ge Fuzz Face; BSIAB II; SHO; Sparkleboost; Sparkledrive; Rat; Dist+; Echobase; ADA Flanger; Easyvibe; May Queen; Hot cake; Phase 90; Dr Boogie; Prof Tweed; Little Giant; Ruby; Modded Cry Baby wah; various power supplies

Post by ralley »

Stereo (Tip, Ring and Sleeve) connectors are often used on the input of effects so that the power is disconnected from the battery when the input cable is removed. This works with a standard (mono) instrument cable and prevents your battery going flat when not in use (as long as you unplug the cable).

Rob.

Cristovao
Information

Post by Cristovao »

ok, I get that

but in that case shouldn't the negative pole of the batery be connected to the ring on the connector instead of the tip?

Cristovao
Information

Post by Cristovao »

Hi,
sorry about that last post... I was able to talk with a friend of mine today and it seems I was interpreting the plug schematic wrong...

Thanks ralley for the explanation on why using a stereo connector instead of a mono one.