2 effects in 1 box: How do I power them from the same 9V?

Putting two effects in one box almost looks too easy, but you will save a lot of time reading the frequent questions before starting such a project...
eman
Information

Post by eman »

I'm using two separate schematics (tyco oct and fuzz face) complete with 2 DPDT switches in one enclosure.

Newbie question: To power both, do I solder up each effect separately, then connect both to the same 9V power source?

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

You connect each effect's 9v and ground connections to each other then to the power jack/battery connector.

I am Klon.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

You connect each effect's 9v and ground connections to each other then to the power jack/battery connector
I would prefer to isolate each stage by running a separate 100 ohm resistor to each effect from the + 9v supply socket or battery positive terminal and then drop a 220uf electrolytic(or larger if you prefer) from the circuit side of these resistors (2 electros required) to ground. By doing this you will decouple any signal voltage from travelling through the power supply rail between each effect and enhance operational stability by reducing or eliminating any intermodulation artifacts, particulary in the high frequency range. Make sure you connect the negative terminals of each electrolytic to ground.
cheers
bajaman

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

--moved to the Workbench--
good topic though
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

gshapzira
Information

Post by gshapzira »

Hello, nOOb here...
bajaman wrote:
You connect each effect's 9v and ground connections to each other then to the power jack/battery connector

I would prefer to isolate each stage by running a separate 100 ohm resistor to each effect from the + 9v supply socket or battery positive terminal and then drop a 220uf electrolytic(or larger if you prefer) from the circuit side of these resistors (2 electros required) to ground. By doing this you will decouple any signal voltage from travelling through the power supply rail between each effect and enhance operational stability by reducing or eliminating any intermodulation artifacts, particulary in the high frequency range. Make sure you connect the negative terminals of each electrolytic to ground.
cheers
bajaman
can you please explain this issue to me? if you could make a simple schematic of this it would be great!
Thanks a lot.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hello - is this clearer :) :?:

Add a 100 ohm resistor from EACH effect's +ve supply rail to the + 9v supply socket or battery positive terminal and then add a 220uf polarised aluminium electrolytic capacitor from EACH circuit's +ve supply rail to ground (connect the -ve pins of the capacitors to ground). This is a very old "trick" known as supply rail decoupling and it works surprisingly well, particularly when running effects from a common power supply adaptor. Many good designers already use this method of decoupling in their products - a schematic helps to identify this. :wink:
cheers
bajaman
be kind to all animals - especially human beings

gshapzira
Information

Post by gshapzira »

Thanks a lot Bajaman! Sorry for my silly question :mrgreen: English is not my native language and sometimes I just don't get the terminology.

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

bajaman's method is probably the simplest and best - BUT - if you want to really overkill it, you could use something called a DC-DC converter - that's what we were taught is used in ECG front ends to decouple the patient side )the converters i used were isolating types, up to 2.5kVDC)... but for this purpose, you'd be really overdoing it - DCDC converters are large, expensive, and need noise suppression components.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

bajaman wrote:Hello - is this clearer :) :?:

Add a 100 ohm resistor from EACH effect's +ve supply rail to the + 9v supply socket or battery positive terminal and then add a 220uf polarised aluminium electrolytic capacitor from EACH circuit's +ve supply rail to ground (connect the -ve pins of the capacitors to ground). This is a very old "trick" known as supply rail decoupling and it works surprisingly well, particularly when running effects from a common power supply adaptor. Many good designers already use this method of decoupling in their products - a schematic helps to identify this. :wink:
cheers
bajaman
so if I was looking at building a pedal that has 2X surpeaux in it, would you be saying that I should replace the 100uF cap there with a 220uF or adding another, and then put a 100ROhm between the two pedals supply rail (just before the last trim in this schem), or if it's on the same PCB would it be ok to leave the supply rail as constant?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

Hi rocklander
You can probably leave the 100uf capacitor as it is on BOTH Supreauxs.
You will need to add TWO 100 ohm resistors (one in series FROM the supply +9v to the +ve 100uf electrolytic terminal of each Supreaux).
cheers
bajaman

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

sweet as then. again, thanks! :D

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

so would this layout be what you're suggesting? (I'm trying to make the boards long and thing rather than short and fat as ROG has them - suits my applications better)
top right is the decoupling R+cap

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

NO!!!!
the +9v battery lead connects to the 100 ohm resistor. The other terminal of this resistor connects to the +ve terminal of the 100uf electrolytic and the +ve rail for the circuit, where the +9v battery terminal was previously connected.
The same applies to all the other circuit/s. In this way ALL the circuits are separated from each other's +ve supply rail by 2 x 100 ohm resistors.
Hope this makes sense.
cheers
bajaman

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

clearly I'm not getting this then huh :oops:

so what you're saying is to put 100R between supply (9v battery and/or PSU) and (to all intents and purposes) the +ve rail for that particular effect.

then from that +ve rail (not the 9V supply) have an appropriate electrolytic to earth.
(apt. electrolytic is normally 220uF, but in the supreaux case it's 100uF)

is that it, or do I still have my dunce cap on?

bajaman
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by bajaman »

yep - that is it!!

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

whew.. :lol: if that wasn't it I dunno how I was gonna get it
thanks again...

bobo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bobo »

I'm built 2 effects in one box. When I run by 9v battery no any problem. Once run by external power supply, it had sound like pop corn. I already put resistor 100ohm and capacitor 220uf per Bejaman advise. The problem is still unsolve. Anyone can suggest for this case.

timbo_93631
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Low wattage SE amps
Completed builds: Many many many true bypass and voicing mods on wahs.
A few BYOC kits and DS-1 mods and eventual murder then rebirth into an actually useful pedal, Bad Stone clone, various Rangemasters/SilconMasterBlaster, The worlds greatest gutted GCB-95 volume pedal conversion with various switching options for controlling amps. Repaired many tube amps, scratchbuilt Marshall 18 watt clone and Supro 1616t rebuild. Delays, fuzz, dirt, every Madbean project I could afford. I even manage to find time to make babies with my wife too!

Post by timbo_93631 »

I drew this up in DIYLC. Does it look correct?
2 effects in 1 box power distribution diagram.png
"I wish to be in the situation of non killing my balls bills, and life surprises." -Sinner
"Everyone gets their shorts in a twist over who polished the fenders. No one cares about who designed the engine..." -DougH

euronymous0001
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by euronymous0001 »

that is correct

Masuto
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox ac4tv 10"
Completed builds: Germanium Fuzzface, Germanium Tonebender Mk ii, Silicon Mosrite Fuzzrite, Germanium Rangemaster, Vox Repeat Percussion, Maestro Sample & Hold, Mole/Hogs Foot.

Post by Masuto »

Slightly different question here: any kind soul can suggest me a full offboard wiringlayout (since we are here.. including 9v single power supply) to have two pedals in one box? Ins, outs, cascading from guitar and outs including the final out to the amp?
Is my question silly enough/useless?