Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

i second that emotion.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

coldcraft wrote:i second that emotion.
oh god, I just realize I've become that guy that quotes songs and makes up parody lyrics, just to be entertaining. I'm "THAT GUY".

I really hope you don't think less of me, because I'm not sure I could stop.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

look, Si tonebenders- no array!!! no fancy superfluous temperature circuit needed. unless, of course, you are playing gigs in your oven, on the planet Venus, or the depths of Hades.

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... ewsIndex=1

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7767

now please explain this "circuit theory". facts not fiction, mr. guru.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

pedalguru
Information

Post by pedalguru »

Don't know what you mean by gigs in your oven?

What you posted is not a valid argument.

Are you a designer? An engineer?

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

pedalguru wrote:Don't know what you mean by gigs in your oven?

He's referring to a transistor changing in various heat conditions.

What you've posted is not a valid argument. Back up your claim. I can't believe I have to explain this to you.
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

no more questions from you. you made a claim, now back it up. why is an array needed?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

pedalguru
Information

Post by pedalguru »

You sound like the soup nazi

"no more questions from you" :lol:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

alright, you are obviously just a clueless troll. please don't make claims on technical matters of which you have no understanding. it makes you look really stupid.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

pedalguru
Information

Post by pedalguru »

The issues that you didn't address and you are an expert so you should easily be able to do so

Were

1. The circuit actually requires a transistor array to work correctly.  The circuit theory upon which its operation is based does not hold up for discrete transistors, therefore it can't be a copy of an existing discrete design with only a transistor array substituted for the discrete transistors, as claimed.

2.  Instead of baseless insinuation, prove that it is nothing new by identifying the existing manufactured pedal that uses the exact same circuit topology.

By the way.
Have you ever produced any products that have been marketed and actually purchased by humans or are you an armchair quarterback?

Just trying to guage who it is that is calling troll here.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

you have no idea what you are talking about. let me spell it out to you-

TRANSISTOR ARRAYS ARE MADE UP OF DISCRETE TRANSISTORS. THEY ARE A NUMBER OF "DISCRETE" TRANSISTORS IN ONE PACKAGE. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "DISCRETE" TRANSISTORS AND THOSE IN AN ARRAY. AN ARRAY IS NOTHING MORE THAN A NUMBER OF "DISCRETE" DEVICES.

now do you understand why your question doesn't make any sense?

I just linked to two designs in my post above. one of which has been around for years. the original circuit is a TONEBENDER. it's been around for 40 years! the only difference is silicon transistors!

not that it makes any difference at all to the subject at hand, but yes- I have designed and sold pedals in the past. now stop acting like a troll, and go read some electronics texts.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

pedalguru
Information

Post by pedalguru »

Oh yes there are a number of differences:

To name just a few significant ones:

Excellent Vbe matching
Excellent Hfe matching
Inherently close thermal tracking

Do you not understand the basic principle of (e.g.) a current mirror, and why they are used extensively in IC design and not so much in the world of discrete transistors?  Do you still insist there are no differences between transistors fabricated together on a die (which is what a transistor array is) and individually manufactured discrete transistors?  Perhaps you are not the circuit theory "expert" you would have us all believe you are after all.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

so (and please excuse me, I'm a singer, not a tech) you're saying that a transistor array is affectively an array of very well matched transistors?

if so, then why can't set of matched transistors not replace them in the (discussed) cct?
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

jreeves47
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jreeves47 »

dude it's a tonebender cmon.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

pedalguru wrote:Oh yes there are a number of differences:

Excellent Vbe matching
Excellent Hfe matching

Do you not understand the basic principle of (e.g.) a current mirror, and why they are used extensively in IC design and not so much in the world of discrete transistors?  Do you still insist there are no differences between transistors fabricated together on a die (which is what a transistor array is) and individually manufactured discrete transistors?  Perhaps you are not the circuit theory "expert" you would have us all believe you are after all.
well, if you ask the same questions over and over like a dunce, you are going to get the simple answer. my point being-
none of this matters in a silicon tonebender. why dont you tell me how hot it would actually have to get before any of that matching actually starts to make a difference? sounds to me like you are just trying to justify something with a bunch of pointless unwarranted technobabble. something you might have some sort of personal stake in perhaps?

oh, and I never claimed to be an expert. i just claimed not to be a sucker.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

SGJarrod
Information

Post by SGJarrod »

jreeves47 wrote:dude it's a tonebender cmon.

zactly, I mean ProGuitarShop did a tribute vid to Led Zepplin with this pedal... Why?...cuz JP used a Tonebender on those songs.... It does these songs well cuz its a Tonebender curcuit with a "Well Matched" transistor array vs individual trans

aren't we looking at basically the same thing here as the Swollen Pickle to the BMP..... just go back 15yrs or so and look at the history there.... its a repeat

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

pedalguru wrote:Don't know what you mean by gigs in your oven?

Are you a designer? An engineer?
Yes. I am. A professional, chartered engineer with over 30 years of commercial experience.

The silly "Retro Channel" copy of a silicon Tonebender using a transistor array is a truly appalling piece of "design" - if you actually had the real status of "guru", you'd know that. You'd also know that temperature compensation in a simple silicon Tonebender is a waste of components and will do nothing useful except draw a little more current than is necessary from the battery.

The "designer" of this product had obviously seen the use of transistor arrays in logarithmic converters and other temperature sensitive circuits, and has ignorantly tacked this on to a simple Tonebender circuit. This "designer" has sold this "concept" to Little Lance and is probably now laughing at the flack that Retro Channel is now taking for their fraudulent advertising ("fuzz chip" :roll: ). Little Lance doesn't know anything about electronics, and sticks to the lines he was given by his "designer"...

I've been using transistor arrays in effects since transistor arrays became available nearly 40 years ago. I've also used FET arrays in phasers and distortion boxes. I've also used transistor and FET arrays in voltage-controlled amplifiers and oscillators for many years....

I've been designing and building effects since the late 1960s, so might have just about achieved "guru" status. You certainly haven't if you think that Little Lance has added anything to the art of pedal electronics.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Excellent Vbe matching
Excellent Hfe matching
All of the above may be correct, but NONE of the above matter in a Tonebender circuit!
pedalguru wrote:Do you not understand the basic principle of (e.g.) a current mirror, and why they are used extensively in IC design and not so much in the world of discrete transistors?  Do you still insist there are no differences between transistors fabricated together on a die (which is what a transistor array is) and individually manufactured discrete transistors?  Perhaps you are not the circuit theory "expert" you would have us all believe you are after all.
Yes, I fully understand the principles of current mirrors and all other IC configurations. NONE of these are applicable in a Tonebender.

Is this "Little Lance" with a new pseudonym? He seems similarly stupid! Obviously a "guru" of bicycle, brake or throttle pedals - doesn't seem to know anything about electronics!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Excellent Vbe matching
Excellent Hfe matching
pedalguru wrote:Do you not understand the basic principle of (e.g.) a current mirror, and why they are used extensively in IC design and not so much in the world of discrete transistors?  Do you still insist there are no differences between transistors fabricated together on a die (which is what a transistor array is) and individually manufactured discrete transistors?  Perhaps you are not the circuit theory "expert" you would have us all believe you are after all.
mictester wrote: This "designer" has sold this "concept" to Little Lance and is probably now laughing at the flack that Retro Channel is now taking for their fraudulent advertising ("fuzz chip" :roll: ). Little Lance doesn't know anything about electronics, and sticks to the lines he was given by his "designer"...
pedalguru = designer of """"the fuzz""""??? :hmmm:

certainly sounds like it.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Whocares wrote:
GuitarlCarl wrote:Ok little brother, your lucky you didn't BUY it... All in all, most if not all of your questions have been answered. The question about selling a degooped pedal has me wondering why you would ask? NO ONE here would sell a pedal that did not work, and degooping only uncovers what was hidden beneath. Don't be alarmed if you fall under scrutiny, its just that there have been some recent trolls seemingly sent by FB and /or others... if your not welcome. :blackeye
Oh...but I did buy it. The seller contacted me after I gave him neutral feedback. Said although he knew about it he wasnt sure if the fraud was true. I've seen the pics. A blindman would know its true.
I asked about the de-gooping because if I'm bidding on one of these someday I'd want to know if it was taken apart.
Think about it. Go on Ebay. lets see..sellers still selling Alphas as if they are doing you a favor so you dont have to wait. Lovepedals getting 50 - 75 bucks tagged on to them cause people dont know to sign up for a newsletter that would offer a new pedal for a proper price. Tims and Timmy's getting marked up to no end.
Quite frankly...if you dont keep your head in the internet theres a ripoff around every corner.
So than theres this de-gooping for educational purposes. So I look into de-gooping. Theres a very fair chance damage will happen during this process. Its the skill of the person reconstructing the damage that determines if a pedal sold after this process is really what it was suppose to be.
So you say no one here would resell a project to an unknowing buyer. I guess I have to take your word for it. It was worth asking.
As far as the other answers..the same...if you claim your not looking to harm someones business than I'll have to take your words for that as well. I understand everthing that was posted. As much as you want to blame the builders....I tend to blame the resellers.

Depends what that business is doing now, doesn't it? :)

All we're looking to do is find the truth.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

tube-exorcist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by tube-exorcist »

Excellent Vbe matching
Excellent Hfe matching
Thanks for the info ! Now I understand better why Marshall used a transistor array for channel switching:
Marshall-2210-switching.gif
Marshall-2210-switching.gif (11.28 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
pedalguru wrote: Do you not understand the basic principle of (e.g.) a current mirror, and why they are used extensively in IC design and not so much in the world of discrete transistors?  Do you still insist there are no differences between transistors fabricated together on a die (which is what a transistor array is) and individually manufactured discrete transistors?  Perhaps you are not the circuit theory "expert" you would have us all believe you are after all.
Good to have you here for technical explanations. Maybe you can tell me, where there is a current mirror used in the Retro Channel design ? The differential pair is not used for that, it is not even used as a differential pair..... BTW, the Fuzz Face part is NOT temperature stabilized, only the first transistor stage, can you tell me why ? :hmmm:

Thanks in advance.
"I've noticed there's an inverse relationship between cost of gear and talent. If you need the most expensive gear to get decent tones, then you suck as a player."