Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
Ang3lus
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ang3lus »

if cash is the prob for a new hosting service, let's do something like the tracers fund, i'm sure everyone will chime in, me included.

electromatic
Information

Post by electromatic »

This whole thing boils my blood. I read the threads, and I can't sit quietly about this.
What I can do is help you guys out with some cashish when the time comes, cuz lord knows it'll be worth every cent.

And obviously it's an abuse of DMCA, but then again, DMCA is evidently kinda abusive. ;)

:horsey:

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

brentm wrote:It must be one of those guilty until proven innocent type of issues.

I'm sure, with hosting companies, anytime they receive a DCMA notice, they assume their client is guilty and aren't really concerned about aggressive "patent/trademark trolls" but rather keeping their IP addresses off the DCMA radar.

I think the latin/french phrase says it best at the end of your post. Good on you for taking a calm and calculated approach to this whole mess.
Yup:
You will receive a "Cease and Desist" notice from the person or corporation involved. This will frequently be followed by a "Notice of Infringement" from your web host with instructions stating that if you don't remove the material in question, they will shut down your entire website. Your choices at this point consist of complying with the order to remove the material, or forget about your website. In either case the material will be removed from the Internet. As a website owner, you are declared guilty with immediate punishment applied. Forget about the 4th Amendment, due process, etc. You are declared guilty. You then have to prove yourself innocent. You must remove the material even if you intend to fight back. (See below
Source: http://www.durangobill.com/Fight_DMCA_Abuse.html

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

great info on that site. thanks, should be very helpful. :thumbsup
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

it's quite ironic that the majority of schematics in the boutique section are clones or mild tweaks of circuits directly taken from the "modern" or more likely "vintage" section of this website - imagine what the boutique section would look like if Boss/Ibanez/EHX/Dallas-Arbiter/Color+Sola-sound/Univox/Vox/Foxx/Mutron/etcetc had taken the line these idiots have, i.e. total suppression of analysis of common circuit building blocks and occasionally inspired innovation.

Set-up a paypal donation fund by friday (payday...) and i'll donate this month's parts order cash to help out with whetever is needed... we should maybe look at investing in an overhyped solidstate "tube" amp to reverse ;-)

on a more serious note, I'd be interested on how other builders that have the misfortune of being "boutique" think about this situation, i'm thinking specifically about those who post here, but i can understand their collective deafening silence.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Let's be frank here; even some of our closest boutique friends would probably not be sorry if their next pedal remained an enigma.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

i just don't understand why they don't make it harder to reverse if their "IP" is so precious to them. No one is going to be knocking out fairfield clones anytime soon, Guillame has obviously spent a fair amount of time on genuine R+D and spent a similar amount of time actually putting his ideas into practice (they could just be simiple tweaks to common circuits hiding in that multilayer complexity of course, but I doubt it - who's going to find out?). I suppose it follows that anyone who can't come out with anymore imaginitive than a tweaked tonebender using a chip probably can't muster the engineering chops to protect their "ideas". I suspect that what's driving LK is the ease at which his precious "fuzz chip innovation" was so quickly and easily busted...
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

mcaviel
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by mcaviel »

i am shocked,
i can chip in to fund a new server.

jreeves47
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jreeves47 »

Wow lance keltner really wants to sell some silicon tonebenders! What a jerk. Fight it.

CodeMonk
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by CodeMonk »

You know what really sucks is that the Scott's and Co.(Who's members would still be getting ripped off if not for FSB) and Aron turning a blind eye to all this because they think it doesn't directly affect them?
Just wait for the day when someone wants to clone a retro fuzz and asks for help on DIYSB, then wait for Aron to get threatened with a lawsuit.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

fuckyourmom wrote:CA/LM 3046 chips used in stomp box projects have been discussed on DIYstompboxes since the '90s...
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/ ... #msg699243
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

B3ar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B3ar »

fuckyourmom wrote:CA/LM 3046 chips used in stomp box projects have been discussed on DIYstompboxes since the '90s...
Better: redesign his pedal with all his non-chip tweaks (if any) and replicate the chip with discretes. That's original work by the logic that his is.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

B3ar wrote:
Better: redesign his pedal with all his non-chip tweaks (if any) and replicate the chip with discretes. That's original work by the logic that his is.
but wouldn't this be going around in circles? plus what defines "discrete"? after all it's not an op amp but rather a transistor array. doesn't that qualify as discrete?

B3ar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by B3ar »

Seiche wrote:but wouldn't this be going around in circles? plus what defines "discrete"? after all it's not an op amp but rather a transistor array. doesn't that qualify as discrete?
Repeat the TGP mantra with me: (except for TS's) eight legs bad, three legs good.
[/snark]
No, it's all semantic. That's kind of the point in the proposed redesign and why the guy doesn't want people to see what he's doing in the first place.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

don't even think about it- it's proprietary!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

If you guys really want to help RIGHT NOW, you can chill out a bit and try to think with a level head.

Modman has a plan and is executing that plan. In the meantime, let's turn our collective energy to something more productive. I think there is too much negativity going on right now, it only will hurt us all in the long run.

Maybe we could have a circuit design contest of some sort? :hmmm:

I think they would be a great way to direct our efforts at the moment. :thumbsup

jimmybjj
Information

Post by jimmybjj »

culturejam wrote:If you guys really want to help RIGHT NOW, you can chill out a bit and try to think with a level head.

Modman has a plan and is executing that plan. In the meantime, let's turn our collective energy to something more productive. I think there is too much negativity going on right now, it only will hurt us all in the long run.

Maybe we could have a circuit design contest of some sort? :hmmm:

I think they would be a great way to direct our efforts at the moment. :thumbsup

+1 I think that is a great idea. I don't have the ability to participate but I think I could/would learn alot.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I updated the first post, so newcomers can see what the status is.

--------------
Thanks everybody who chimed in on any of the threads regarding this matter. I hope it is clear to everybody that we are in Stealth Mode (Boutique sections down, Subscriptions blocked) but that this is just a temporary condition. Solutions are out there, they just take a few more days at max to compare, figure out and set up.

Remember that we had letter about copyright issues before and took down a number of schematics because the claim was valid. If there were factory schematics contested by the owners, we never hesistated and acted appropriately.

Dissecting stompboxes and sharing information, pictures and documents is absolutely legal. For now on, we should devote more attention to encouraging members to put their copyright notices on their documents. If you drew the schematic (no matter what circuit) you own the drawing and you should protect yourself by putting a copyright notice, maybe with a gmail address and a nick. It would suffice then, if somebody claims copyright to get into contact with the owner.

You can always just put (c) freestompboxes.org -- we are here to take the heat.

A lot of people have asking about donating to freestompboxes.org. This is always an option. You can contribute by paypal to tracersfund@freestompboxes.org. I don't want to set up a special account for hosting donations, I'll know by looking at the date. If you donate now to support a safe serverharbour for the forum, you will also get access to the Tracer's Fund. There is some money set aside from google & ebay ads that was meant for server costs. We are looking at hosting plans three times the price of our current solution, with less option (for the admin, not for the users). I just don't like half-hearted solutions. Once we are home free for the running year, we can look into more economical solutions for later...

Still somebody should make it clear to LK that we are not mad about his complaint - but rather about the steps he took to rally up other builders to file similar complaints. That is the reason the Boutique folder got closed.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

Modman, can you name the other complainers besides LK? I think this should all be public information.
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

eatyourguitar
Information

Post by eatyourguitar »

telecaster wrote:Modman, can you name the other complainers besides LK? I think this should all be public information.
I think the other boutique builders that followed LK are in fact just puppets of LK that think they are doing things in a professional legal way. they are wrong but I dont think that we should attack them for believing LK. LK is the real asshole here and deserves %100 of the credit. while some of the builders haven't even checked out the site, some of these boutique builders are lurkers are posters here that like the site. not everyone who pays $300 for a tube screamer has a soldering iron in the hand. it doesn't really affect sales and I think a lot of people can understand that. freakish blues was affected but not because people are cloning them. they are just tired of the %1000 markup of a chineese pedal going through a middle man. the OCD is still a best seller no matter what happens to Freakish Blues or joyo. Andy Fuller still makes money for being original, quality, famous, nice guy.