Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

I don't suggest that we "attack" anyone. I would just like to know who else made complaints.
KindaFuzzy - Looks like a blue nail polish and nutella sandwich.
Freekish - "Our originality is in the basement. Our business is in the toilet"
Guitarlcarl - I did take offence at being called an idiot by a moron.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

modman wrote:We are looking at hosting plans three times the price of our current solution, with less option (for the admin, not for the users). I just don't like half-hearted solutions. Once we are home free for the running year, we can look into more economical solutions for later...
so how much money are we talking? or would you rather not say? that'd be totally fine.
modman wrote: Still somebody should make it clear to LK that we are not mad about his complaint - but rather about the steps he took to rally up other builders to file similar complaints. That is the reason the Boutique folder got closed.
he really did that? [smilie=a_doh.gif] :roll:
gotta hand it to him, he's not one for empty threats. but then again, most texans i met aren't.

yoho
Information

Post by yoho »

I discovered today that all of my scarse (that is good english, or isn't) posts went into the boutique section.
Too bad... Just as i decided to thank Skreddy for the Lunar Module, the post is gone :(

I think that forums like these help the young, poor, and/or pedalcrazy to their joy of that other passtime, making music.
In my opinion, this is as bad as the dutch government trying to kill all preforming arts that aren't main stream, and need some financial support to develop new creative creatures. Perhaps a new Jimi would not emerge because of this.

Sorry, for being not english speaking enough, but you get the point.

I'm going home to my Lunar Module based pedal and play praise songs to all Skreddy 's and the like.. well after dinner :)

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

so is all that information gone now or will it be recovered?

I would be willing to chip in some funds if that's the solution, as well

jreeves47
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jreeves47 »

I dont get why lance keltner got so worked up about a tonebender clone. He must have sunk alot of money into the idea. Probably some slickster sold him on it. IMO

jimmybjj
Information

Post by jimmybjj »

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how do you donate to the tracers fund? I can't seem to find a link. I am sure I am just overlooking it.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

jimmybjj wrote:Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how do you donate to the tracers fund? I can't seem to find a link. I am sure I am just overlooking it.
From the very first post above:
modman wrote:A lot of people have asking about donating to freestompboxes.org. This is always an option. You can contribute by paypal to tracersfund@freestompboxes.org. I don't want to set up a special account for hosting donations, I'll know by looking at the date. If you donate now to support a safe serverharbour for the forum, you will also get access to the Tracer's Fund.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

electromatic wrote:And obviously it's an abuse of DMCA, but then again, DMCA is evidently kinda abusive. ;)
It's actually contrary to the First Amendment of the American Constitution, but they neither have the wit or humour to see the irony in that.

The United States of America used to be a bastion of free speech, but their film and music industries suddenly discovered the internet, got scared and used their heavy influence in Washington to construct this silly "Law".

Looks like it's "Game Over" for the USA.

Let's get this site moved to somewhere the Americans can't touch!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

jreeves47 wrote:Wow lance keltner really wants to sell some silicon tonebenders! What a jerk. Fight it.
Little Lance is dead in the water. He's just too stupid to realise it.

The defamatory posts he sent me have been forwarded to his ISP, and I'm waiting for them to begin their "sanctions" (their term, from their T & Cs)!

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

mictester wrote:
electromatic wrote:And obviously it's an abuse of DMCA, but then again, DMCA is evidently kinda abusive. ;)
It's actually contrary to the First Amendment of the American Constitution, but they neither have the wit or humour to see the irony in that.

The United States of America used to be a bastion of free speech, but their film and music industries suddenly discovered the internet, got scared and used their heavy influence in Washington to construct this silly "Law".

Looks like it's "Game Over" for the USA.

Let's get this site moved to somewhere the Americans can't touch!
I'm not so sure if that's a good idea. I think the benefits of "fair use" could outweigh the nuisance of abusive DMCA use.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by mictester »

fuckyourmom wrote:CA/LM 3046 chips used in stomp box projects have been discussed on DIYstompboxes since the '90s...
I've still got a "Superfuzz" clone with a CA3086 that I built in 1979. It's actually pretty good and doesn't hiss. I chose the IC because it was an easy way to get fairly low gain silicon transistors without going to the trouble of selecting them, and getting a really accurately matched "long-tailed pair" for the doubler stage. Back then, I built about ten or twelve of them to this recipe, and I know of two of them that are still used by session players in London.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Electric Warrior wrote:I'm not so sure if that's a good idea. I think the benefits of "fair use" could outweigh the nuisance of abusive DMCA use.
Fair use doesn't factor, because the hosting company doesn't judge whether the DMCA complaint is valid or not. They just pass it along and tell you to remove the content or they will remove it for you.

Trust me, we looked at every angle on the entire DMCA complaint and counter-notice process.

In short, it's not worth it to remain hosted in the US. This is going to happen over and over again now that it is known how easy it is for anyone to abuse the DMCA. But, the DMCA is a US law, so a hosting company outside of the US has no obligation to uphold it in any way.

Winther
Information
my favorite amplifier: Hiwatt, Laney, Fender, vox...
Completed builds: Plexitone, AC-Tone, DC-Drive, Opto-Comp, drivesection of the Quattro, inputs on the Echotone, Classic Flanger, Classic chorus....all together with the real mind behind those things, Thomas Guldmann.....I am just the ears and second opinion.
Modded a few Tubescreamers, one YJM DOD drive, a few Blues Drivers, one Ibanez Metal Charger, destroyed a huge number of pedals as well...haha

Post by Winther »

Wow!!!
That is something!!!
I like this place, keeps all the hype on the ground with the appropiate dirt on it as well!
Not that my work mates and me make anything in "Fatique" world...no religious bypasses and other stuff....
And I never thought that it was taking bread off my table to see the circuits here, on the contrary I would like to think....
Oh well....that must be some insecure impulse that someone needed to act on??!
Hope it will sneak back, as this pedal world really needs a reality check!!!
No one makes any really serious big money, not alot can claim much fame by it either(only to a few mad "fanboys" ;) )
It is a crazy buisiness from bottom to the top.....so what's with all the threats?
And I am the first to admit that it is alittle more than normal hystrical to make such a move over total basic circuits...man!
Oh well.....
Keep the circuits free, or it will turn all ipedal crazy!

Niels
CM employee!

iq01221
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by iq01221 »

I hope LK'll be happy in Cancún with his millons, we was just taking away from him :slap: ( ironic tone...)
I can't believe the free speech rights violations that i'm seeing here.
It's outrageous...
Somebody is selling us something that we can't share, use or show... and now we are criminals. Good one, I'd like to see him acusing me in a court :applause: .

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

People, cool down

...and build more pedals!

...like "The Fat 60's Retrobush Fuzz":
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/us ... o_rb11.gif

chile
Information

Post by chile »

mictester wrote: Let's get this site moved to somewhere the Americans can't touch!
Europe can be an option or for (near)unlimited fredom .ru domains

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

roseblood11 wrote:People, cool down

...and build more pedals!

...like "The Fat 60's Retrobush Fuzz":
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/us ... o_rb11.gif
:applause: musikding doesn't disappoint. have they ever encountered law suit threats?

btw, i think you should name it "The Furz" :blackeye

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

The issue with this is that whoever files the counter-notice has to submit to jurisdiction of whatever federal court is closest the hosting company. The language looks like this:
For the purposes of this matter, I consent to the jurisdiction of the Federal District Court for the judicial district in which the service provider may be found. I also consent to service by the person providing notification under Section 512(c)(1)(C) or that person’s agent. However, by this letter, I do not waive any other rights, including the ability to pursue an action for the removal or disabling of access to this material, if wrongful.
You can understand how somebody from Europe would be terrified at the idea of submitting to the jurisdiction a US federal court in TEXAS, of all fucking places. :lol:

telecaster
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by telecaster »

"The issue with this is that whoever files the counter-notice has to submit to jurisdiction of whatever federal court is closest the hosting company."

Only if there is a law suit filed. I doubt that would happen simply because he doesn't own the copyright to anything posted on this site. You know it, I know it, and I'm sure he knows it too. What's he going to say if he gets to court? They took pictures of my pedal, and posted them on a website. The judge is going to ask if the pictures belong to him. No, I sold a pedal and the owner took pictures of the pedal I sold and posted them on a site. Judge Buefurd is then going to laugh him right out the door.
I believe this really needs to be answered to and running may not be the solution. Otherwise this nonsense is going to happen again no matter where you go.

"You can understand how somebody from Europe would be terrified at the idea of submitting to the jurisdiction a US federal court in TEXAS, of all fucking places." :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, i know. Don't mess with Texas.
Last edited by telecaster on 27 Jul 2011, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.