Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby mictester » 09 Aug 2011, 18:26

RnFR wrote:apparently the first stage has to have temperature compensation. he still won't tell me at what temperature this becomes necessary, though.


A quick test, with a 2N2222 (not a bad choice for the first transistor in a Tonebender), showed that with sensible choices for the resistors, the collector voltage started to move at about 110 C.

Unless you're gigging on Venus, or boiling your gear in salt water as you play, there's little chance of attaining this kind of temperature in normal use.

Back in the days when I used to design amplifiers for accelerometers that had to work in paper mills at well over 100 C, I used to design silicon circuits with temperature compensation. I also design temperature compensation into my RF oscillator circuits. However, for audio frequencies, and at the normal human range of temperatures, any kind of compensation in a Tonebender is just plain stupid.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

For this message the author mictester has received thanks:
Gravaman (02 Jan 2012, 00:17)
User avatar
mictester
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 2873
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 21:29
Location: In the hills of North London
Has thanked: 32 times
Have thanks: 781 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby oscarv77 » 09 Aug 2011, 18:50

juanro wrote:Hi teemuk,

I'm not affiliated with freestompboxes.org in any form (save by being a user), but I think you'll find my personal blog interesting:

http://ponelequehablode.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Juanro


tee hee :applause:
User avatar
oscarv77
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 25 Aug 2007, 02:41
Has thanked: 12 times
Have thanks: 10 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby ddpawel » 09 Aug 2011, 20:14

juanro wrote:Hi teemuk,

I'm not affiliated with freestompboxes.org in any form (save by being a user), but I think you'll find my personal blog interesting:

http://ponelequehablode.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Juanro


Very nice. I've got a bunch of Intersil CA3046's. Finally, I'll use them for something.
ddpawel
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 20 Dec 2009, 19:52
Has thanked: 4 times
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby Nocentelli » 09 Aug 2011, 20:52

oscarv77 wrote:
juanro wrote:Hi teemuk,

I'm not affiliated with freestompboxes.org in any form (save by being a user), but I think you'll find my personal blog interesting:

http://ponelequehablode.blogspot.com/

Regards,
Juanro


tee hee :applause:


See, this is the most idiotic thing about Lance's actions (and Bill's, let's not forget): I know the Retro fuzz and Klon schematics are posted all over the net - When the boutique folder went, a quick google seacrh and a bit of trawling non-english websites got me the Retrofuzz schematic in minutes. They can't possibly hope to police the whole of the internet and issue DMCA take-downs from now on, can they? It's just a bit of bloody-mindedness on Lance's behalf because a couple of people on this site didn't swoon at his awesome circuit.
mmolteratx wrote:absolutely zero commercial use allowed. If I find anyone selling these, I'll fly to your house and kick you in the nads. And you may or may not find yourself in trouble.
User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 08:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 784 times
Have thanks: 811 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby juanro » 09 Aug 2011, 21:01

You see, I would love to see Lance send DMCA notices to Blogger (Google?)
In fact, I don't care for fuzzes in general and this implementation in particular, but now I somehow feel the urge to make a cause about this.

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.
User avatar
juanro
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 493
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 18:07
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 63 times
Have thanks: 137 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby Mugshot » 10 Aug 2011, 03:21

he still hasnt answered why he used an array for his TONEBENDER DERIVATIVE, aside from vbe matching and consistent hfe ranges (sorry, i dont buy that temperature stabilization shit for a silicon device). but most importantly - and idk, maybe the obvious reason - was _____________. you fill in the blank. nothing more, nothing less.
signatures are for the weak.

FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps

Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?
User avatar
Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Mar 2009, 08:17
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby juanro » 10 Aug 2011, 03:53

Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.
Imagine this, instead: "This is our modern incarnation of the classic mk2, this is how it sounds, this is the price" Would that have sold less? I don't think so. Then it will be opened here, Lance passes by and says, "yeah pretty clever to use the 3046 right? also you can try this and that, and note the input stage biasing we were trying to mimic the input characteristics of a Ge transistor but with Si stability" would that have sold less? Hordes of RCTF clones flooding the market and driving them out of business? Again, don't think so.
Now they have been exposed as liars and worst - are engaged in this useless, virtual fight wich they can't win against a very motivated community.
But hey! This is a free world, anyone is entitled to be an asshole.

Juanro
La única verdad es la realidad.
User avatar
juanro
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 493
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 18:07
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 63 times
Have thanks: 137 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby RnFR » 10 Aug 2011, 03:57

mictester wrote:
RnFR wrote:apparently the first stage has to have temperature compensation. he still won't tell me at what temperature this becomes necessary, though.


A quick test, with a 2N2222 (not a bad choice for the first transistor in a Tonebender), showed that with sensible choices for the resistors, the collector voltage started to move at about 110 C.

Unless you're gigging on Venus, or boiling your gear in salt water as you play, there's little chance of attaining this kind of temperature in normal use.

Back in the days when I used to design amplifiers for accelerometers that had to work in paper mills at well over 100 C, I used to design silicon circuits with temperature compensation. I also design temperature compensation into my RF oscillator circuits. However, for audio frequencies, and at the normal human range of temperatures, any kind of compensation in a Tonebender is just plain stupid.

Finally an answer! alright, let's see here...110 degrees Celsius =

230F????
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:


:lol: :lol: :lol: oh Lancey, you crack me up!!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
User avatar
RnFR
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 5138
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 07:02
Location: Inner Earth
Has thanked: 138 times
Have thanks: 170 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby dwstanford » 10 Aug 2011, 04:09

That was the heat index today in Memphis. Im sick of my transistors unbiasing right before they melt. :)
dwstanford
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 20 Sep 2010, 02:40
Has thanked: 8 times
Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby Greg » 10 Aug 2011, 05:00

juanro wrote:Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.
Imagine this, instead: "This is our modern incarnation of the classic mk2, this is how it sounds, this is the price" Would that have sold less? I don't think so. Then it will be opened here, Lance passes by and says, "yeah pretty clever to use the 3046 right? also you can try this and that, and note the input stage biasing we were trying to mimic the input characteristics of a Ge transistor but with Si stability" would that have sold less? Hordes of RCTF clones flooding the market and driving them out of business? Again, don't think so.
Now they have been exposed as liars and worst - are engaged in this useless, virtual fight wich they can't win against a very motivated community.
But hey! This is a free world, anyone is entitled to be an asshole.

Juanro

Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post juanro !!.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 75 times
Have thanks: 194 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby rocklander » 10 Aug 2011, 05:07

Greg_G wrote:Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post juanro !!.

ha! I had the same issue.. :applause:
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world

Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

User avatar
rocklander
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: 18 Apr 2008, 12:33
Location: Rotorua, New Zealand
Has thanked: 1559 times
Have thanks: 287 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby Mugshot » 10 Aug 2011, 05:53

juanro wrote:Well, the use of the transistor array is fine; the sales blurb & hype is fine; the "our fuzz is the best" is fine; the germanium and temperature references are shady (but technically "true", is a silicon tonebender, all right) but calling the IC "Proprietary Chip Set", or this: "Rxxxx Cxxxxx has developed a proprietary chipset that delivers pure MK2 fuzz tones without the use of germanium" is when they hit the curb, completed with start to throw shit everywhere over the fact that their fuzz is analized here.
Imagine this, instead: "This is our modern incarnation of the classic mk2, this is how it sounds, this is the price" Would that have sold less? I don't think so. Then it will be opened here, Lance passes by and says, "yeah pretty clever to use the 3046 right? also you can try this and that, and note the input stage biasing we were trying to mimic the input characteristics of a Ge transistor but with Si stability" would that have sold less? Hordes of RCTF clones flooding the market and driving them out of business? Again, don't think so.
Now they have been exposed as liars and worst - are engaged in this useless, virtual fight wich they can't win against a very motivated community.
But hey! This is a free world, anyone is entitled to be an asshole.

Juanro


in short, he was banking on technobabble for profit. allegedly :lol:

imma check tayda if they stock on transistor arrays, too. :lol:
signatures are for the weak.

FiveseveN wrote:
considering the low quality of the transistors and caps

Are Asian electrons inferior to American electrons?
User avatar
Mugshot
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Mar 2009, 08:17
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby deltafred » 10 Aug 2011, 09:52

Greg_G wrote:Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post !!.


Still works for me.

Thanks Juanrmo. :applause:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
User avatar
deltafred
Opamp Operator
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: 06 Apr 2010, 17:16
Location: Yorkshire, England, UK
Has thanked: 298 times
Have thanks: 239 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby Greg » 10 Aug 2011, 11:59

deltafred wrote:
Greg_G wrote:Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post !!.


Still works for me.

Thanks Juanrmo. :applause:


Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3325
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 75 times
Have thanks: 194 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby earthtonesaudio » 10 Aug 2011, 13:45

RnFR wrote:
mictester wrote:
RnFR wrote:apparently the first stage has to have temperature compensation. he still won't tell me at what temperature this becomes necessary, though.


A quick test, with a 2N2222 (not a bad choice for the first transistor in a Tonebender), showed that with sensible choices for the resistors, the collector voltage started to move at about 110 C.

Unless you're gigging on Venus, or boiling your gear in salt water as you play, there's little chance of attaining this kind of temperature in normal use.

Back in the days when I used to design amplifiers for accelerometers that had to work in paper mills at well over 100 C, I used to design silicon circuits with temperature compensation. I also design temperature compensation into my RF oscillator circuits. However, for audio frequencies, and at the normal human range of temperatures, any kind of compensation in a Tonebender is just plain stupid.

Finally an answer! alright, let's see here...110 degrees Celsius =

230F????
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:


:lol: :lol: :lol: oh Lancey, you crack me up!!


Last month I had the interesting assignment of fixing a (fanless) 800W linear voltage regulator that kept burning its output devices. The MOSFETs would get to about 160C then the nonconductive screws holding them to the heatsink would boil, then the device would lift off the heatsink and fail almost instantly. My solution was to clamp them down with a big block of aluminum. Low tech, but it worked!
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.
earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 05:00
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Has thanked: 17 times
Have thanks: 109 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby culturejam » 10 Aug 2011, 14:48

earthtonesaudio wrote:Last month I had the interesting assignment of fixing a (fanless) 800W linear voltage regulator that kept burning its output devices. The MOSFETs would get to about 160C then the nonconductive screws holding them to the heatsink would boil, then the device would lift off the heatsink and fail almost instantly. My solution was to clamp them down with a big block of aluminum. Low tech, but it worked!

Hurry and patent that!!!!111one!!

:blackeye :slap:
User avatar
culturejam
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 4264
Joined: 24 Feb 2008, 06:59
Has thanked: 458 times
Have thanks: 567 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby deltafred » 10 Aug 2011, 16:51

Greg_G wrote:
deltafred wrote:
Greg_G wrote:Thank You feature doesn't seem to be working.. all part of the restructuring I guess..
So - Thanks for a well thought out and intelligent post !!.


Still works for me.

Thanks Juanrmo. :applause:


Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:


Oh I see what you mean Greg, I sat scratching my head for a while wondering what you meant.

I haven't got used to the 'Thanks' button yet, you will have to excuse me it is and age thing.

I did notice that I spelled juanro incorrectly, sorry if it "Juanrmo" means something derogatory in Spanish.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
User avatar
deltafred
Opamp Operator
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: 06 Apr 2010, 17:16
Location: Yorkshire, England, UK
Has thanked: 298 times
Have thanks: 239 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby juanro » 10 Aug 2011, 18:06

I did notice that I spelled juanro incorrectly, sorry if it "Juanrmo" means something derogatory in Spanish.


Juanro is short for my two names (Juan Rodrigo), Juanrmo is nothing bad, just unpronounceable :)
La única verdad es la realidad.
User avatar
juanro
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 493
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 18:07
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 63 times
Have thanks: 137 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby deltafred » 10 Aug 2011, 18:29

Greg_G wrote:Are you sure.. juanro has no thanks from you.. :scratch:


Update.
When I try thanking juanro with the thanks button I get the message "Invalid thank" :scratch:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012
User avatar
deltafred
Opamp Operator
 
Posts: 1382
Joined: 06 Apr 2010, 17:16
Location: Yorkshire, England, UK
Has thanked: 298 times
Have thanks: 239 times

Re: Important: boutique sections closed... DMCA kicks in.

Postby juanro » 10 Aug 2011, 18:43

Yeah, I'm just that ungrateful :twisted:
La única verdad es la realidad.
User avatar
juanro
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 493
Joined: 01 Jun 2009, 18:07
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 63 times
Have thanks: 137 times

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements and Forum Rules

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests