cant open Freestompboxes.org in IE7

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
JimiB
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: AC30

Post by JimiB »

Anybody else having this problem? I cleared my cache but didnt help.
I am getting this error

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect key file for table 'phpbb3_sessions'; try to repair it [1034]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

It works in both browser just fine here. I only use IE when I absolutely have to... like visiting microsoft.com for downloads, otherwise Firefox is more fun.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

When I got a new netbook a few months back, I noticed something very strange: when I tried to download Firefox using the current version of IE that was installed, it would always crash out IE and basically not allow the download. Funny thing was, I noticed a friend's computer had exactly the same problem.... I seriously think Microsoft has done something to inhibit IE from downloading Firefox; it's just too uncanny. It seems to be linked with SP3 versions of WinXP because it was absolutely no problem on my computer that has SP2 version.... but so far every SP3 computer that I've seen try to download Firefox with IE wasn't able to.
The solution I found was to download Google Chrome and then use that to download Firefox. It's kinda ridiculous when you think about it, but Chrome had absolutely no trouble downloading it, and IE would close out every time I clicked the download link on the Mozilla site.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

soulsonic wrote:When I got a new netbook a few months back, I noticed something very strange: when I tried to download Firefox using the current version of IE that was installed, it would always crash out IE and basically not allow the download. Funny thing was, I noticed a friend's computer had exactly the same problem.... I seriously think Microsoft has done something to inhibit IE from downloading Firefox; it's just too uncanny. It seems to be linked with SP3 versions of WinXP because it was absolutely no problem on my computer that has SP2 version.... but so far every SP3 computer that I've seen try to download Firefox with IE wasn't able to.
The solution I found was to download Google Chrome and then use that to download Firefox. It's kinda ridiculous when you think about it, but Chrome had absolutely no trouble downloading it, and IE would close out every time I clicked the download link on the Mozilla site.
I can't remember how off the top of my head, but IIRC the security settings need changing to allow the download.. something to do with the randomisation of sites that ffox downloads from (round robin of some sort).. course, I could just be talking total crapola :hmmm:

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

soulsonic wrote:When I got a new netbook a few months back, I noticed something very strange: when I tried to download Firefox using the current version of IE that was installed, it would always crash out IE and basically not allow the download.
That's odd, it's the only use i've found for Internet Exploder :roll:

Let your computer be as free as your stompboxes, use Free Software like GNU/Linux !
I only give negative feedback.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I would LOVE to use Linux, but since I don't know anything about programming, it's probably a little hard to get it to do anything I need... Every time I look for Linux related software, it's always all this stuff that needs to be compiled... like I'm expected to know how to do that! :?
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

soulsonic wrote:I would LOVE to use Linux, but since I don't know anything about programming, it's probably a little hard to get it to do anything I need... Every time I look for Linux related software, it's always all this stuff that needs to be compiled... like I'm expected to know how to do that! :?
I feel your pain. perhaps run a linux OS and put vmware server (free) on top and run your windows there for the apps you know and love *cough* and then you can get used to linux under it :D
I'm a total hypocrite though cos I'm still running windows.. too lazy to start over on my current hardware. :oops:

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

without a doubt!
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Proco Rat
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Hot Harmonics
Crackle Not OK

Post by JiM »

[smilie=threadjacked.gif] But it's for a good cause ...
soulsonic wrote:I would LOVE to use Linux, but since I don't know anything about programming, it's probably a little hard to get it to do anything I need... Every time I look for Linux related software, it's always all this stuff that needs to be compiled... like I'm expected to know how to do that! :?
You know, things evolve quickly in the Free Software community ! Having to compile almost everything was true maybe 10 years ago ... or when you have a geek-oriented distribution like Gentoo. Every Free Software provide on its website the source files to be compiled, but many of them are also included in pre-compiled form in the main distributions like Red Hat, Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu ... (A distro includes the Linux kernel, the GNU operating system, and a collection of applications for various needs, all in consistent versions)

I suggest to have a look at Ubuntu, and especially try Live-CD mode : it's great to begin with, and to find out how things works without the hassle of installing it first. Of course, running from CD is slow (so you won't see the benefit compared to Winblows yet), but you can try out the most common apps. You can even install it from within Windows !
It's a bit like using a BYOC kit before learning how to etch a PCB ...

Then when you're good at soldering, you can build custom things on perf : to install new software, it's as easy as typing "apt-get install name-of-the-app" in a terminal, or checking a box in a package manager called Synaptic. And it resolves all the dependencies, tells you if there are conflicting versions, downloads everything needed, and installs it in the right place. No need to compile anything yourself, unless it's not included in the 10000+ packages available ...

[*]decompress the package with "> tar zxvf my_new_software-0.0.1.tar.gz ."
[*]go where it was decompressed with "> cd my_new_software-0.0.1/"
[*]let it know where it is and what your system has with "> ./configure"
[*]compile with "> make"[/list][/size]
For music-oriented stuff, there is Ubuntu Studio, sporting a real time kernel and multi-track recording software.

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by rocklander »

I had a crack at ubuntu about a year or so ago, and just couldn't get my head round it. I found (for me, who's been using windows for years now) that it just didn't work the way my head does (I find macs the same, I don't get them), but OpenSUse was/is much more to my liking. the webmin is very simple to use and the OS GUI has a more windowsy feel to it... things like the control panel (forget what it's called) but the logical placement of utils and system amending stuff was similar to windows for me. I'll defo be going OpenSUse when I move to my next OS (cos I'm steering clear of vista, and can't see me forking out for win7)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

JimiB wrote:Anybody else having this problem? I cleared my cache but didnt help.
I am getting this error

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect key file for table 'phpbb3_sessions'; try to repair it [1034]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
if this or any error occurs, do copy the contents here. Above is related to the session logging and should be solved after clearing computer cache.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

I've been running almost nothing but Linux since 1995. There used to be issues with it being "hard to learn" or "needing programming skill", but that was years ago.

If you want to give Linux a go, you can try it without installing anything - many distributions provide "live" CDs that you can boot from, and have a look at it. Running from the CD is a lot slower than running from the hard drive, but it will at least show you what it looks like.

Recommended distributions for beginners:

Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/

Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/

Puppy http://www.puppylinux.org/ (especially good for older, slow hardware - it's small and amazingly fast!)

Give it a go. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much it has advanced in the last couple of years. Remember, you don't need a "virus scanner" with Linux, and all the software's free! Current Linux distributions are (roughly) 4 - 5 years ahead of Windoze 7....
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Proco Rat
Hot Harmonics
Crackle Not OK

Post by JiM »

:thumbsup