output buffer position

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

just a thought-

should a circuit with a tone control loading it's output always have the o/p buffer before the volume control so that they do not interact, or is there ever a time when you would put an o/p buffer post volume control? keep in mind that the pedal will remain true bypass- no post switching buffers.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

marsens
Information

Post by marsens »

I always do this:

Input Buffer --> (Previous stage) --> Buffer --> Tone control (Big Muff Type) --> Volume Pot --> Output Buffer

Volume Pot and Output Buffer at the end circuit chain formed like TS type but Pin 1 of Volume Pot goes to ground not Vref.
In my opinion, if pedal built like this, it will not affecting or affected by/to any other pedal before or after the pedal which use buffer as I mentioned above.

Input impedance of a pedal will be affected by previous pedal volume pot if the previous pedal volume pot doesn't have output buffer, in term, input impedance and high frequency response.

Any correction is welcome.