removing the tonestack from rat, shredmaster and ts-808

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

i want to remove any interactive (the one you can change with a pot) tonestack from a rat, a shredmaster and a ts-808. they will be incorporated into a boss me-5 analog multifx, and i have only one 'digital pot' for each of them (actually, a 8-ch multiplexer with resistors), assigned to gain. the box has a separate volume control after the od/dist circuit AND a 3-band mid-parametric eq, so I won't have any problems with controlling the tone. however, any fixed filter incorporated in the pedals should remain intact. could anyone help me by eliminating the tonestacks and unnecessary gainstages (those that are there only to make up the gain loss in the tonestack) by circling them with red in paint? i would be very grateful.

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

I think you should do this in another way. Find your sweet spot with the stock pedals. measure the tone pots at that setting and replace it with resistors matching the pots setting. then use the md-5 to make small eq adjustments.

just my opinion...

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

the problem is i don't have them (and probably can't borrow them - maybe the rat and ts, but none of my friends have a shredmaster).

as for settings i'd like:
for rat the setting is filter completely zeroed
for shredmaster and ts-808 - everything at noon

shouldn't be too hard. i actually can spot a filter circuit AND a gainstage, and could probably perfect the circuit on breadboard, but it would probably require some trial and error and time. i was just wondering if there was someone here who knows those circuits inside out, who could help me (it probably wouldn't take them much time). those are pretty common circuits, i'm sure that pedal experts can help me in a blink of an eye.

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

For the rat this is easy. Just replace the pot with a jumper. If by zero you mean the opposite of what I think, then replace it with a 100k resistor.