inductor tone control

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

recently this thread was posted.viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3668
in it, an inductor is put forth by AG to be used as a tone control for mids in a DS-1. can we go into this a bit further, and possible show how this can be done with discrete components? is this the same exact technique as in your basic wah pedal, or is there something a bit different going on here? how are frequencies determined in relation to the value of the inductor, and how is the Q determined? i find the possibility of buying cheap inductors, like the one in the post above, intriguing and would love to learn more about them and how to incorporate them in my builds.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

The pedal is an SD-1. I think you could reach that purpose with gyrators; they convert an impedance to its inverse, so having Opamps and capacitors, you can model an inductor for filters. Although If I remember well, it has some limitations on application, I mean, it is not just a magic inductor without the inductor (like to replace the L in a wah), but I'm especulating now.

I'm sure AnalogGuru will explain further.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i'm familiar with gyrators, but i was really wondering more about these inductors. and if it's posible to do the same type of thing with a lower parts count in a discrete circuit.

thanks for the correction- DS1, SD1.. bloody hell, it's an op amp and some diodes!! :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

:D , yeah, I just noted that because the SD-1 is the one with the midhump, which was the matter addressed by analogguru on the other thread.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Ok, here is the first answer to the questions:

Analogguru´s LC-calculator

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

cool links.

although, i'd still like to see how this could be implemented using discrete components.

edit-

ah, i see the patent is pretty much doing that. i'll have to give that one a look. it looks like the inductor has 4 leads? :hmmm: is it a transformer in this case?

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO