Feedback resistor in op-amp

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

I noticed that in some circuits (e.g. Demeter Compulator) impedance converters based on op-amps use a resistor between out and (-) instead of a straight wire.

From the theoretical viewpoint it shouldn't make any difference. I was wondering if somebody knows if there is any practical reason.

In other words, can you see any reason why some people use circuit (A) instead of circuit (B)?

Thanks
feedback-op-amp.gif
feedback-op-amp.gif (3.57 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Input bias currents.

For op-amps with high input currents, datasheets typically recommend the feedback resistor to equal the source resistance when used in the non-inverting configuration. Same as when you see an inverting op-amp with a resistor from the (+) terminal to the bias voltage. This way the input bias currents are equal and you don't have weird offests or distortion happening. I think.

With high-input impedance op-amps the input currents are so small that you can safely omit these resistors.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

earthtonesaudio wrote:Input bias currents.

For op-amps with high input currents, datasheets typically recommend the feedback resistor to equal the source resistance when used in the non-inverting configuration. Same as when you see an inverting op-amp with a resistor from the (+) terminal to the bias voltage. This way the input bias currents are equal and you don't have weird offests or distortion happening. I think.

With high-input impedance op-amps the input currents are so small that you can safely omit these resistors.
Thanks for your comments earthtonesaudio.

I checked the datasheet of the LF353N (used in the Compulator). The input bias current is 50pA and the input impedance is 10E12 ohm. Strangely enough, on page 9 of the NS datasheet and on page 7 of the ST datasheet, there are 2 impedance converters without resistor... I am confused. :scratch:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Silent Fly wrote:

I checked the datasheet of the LF353N (used in the Compulator). The input bias current is 50pA and the input impedance is 10E12 ohm. Strangely enough, on page 9 of the NS datasheet and on page 7 of the ST datasheet, there are 2 impedance converters without resistor... I am confused. :scratch:
That´s only because you trust that every pedal is well designed by a skilled electronician...

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

50pA is super low input current. No resistor needed. The place where you'd expect to see the resistor are on bipolar-input op-amps with much larger input currents (in milli-amps).
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

analogguru wrote:
Silent Fly wrote:

That´s only because you trust that every pedal is well designed by a skilled electronician...

analogguru
You may have a point Analogguru :lol:

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

earthtonesaudio wrote:50pA is super low input current. No resistor needed. The place where you'd expect to see the resistor are on bipolar-input op-amps with much larger input currents (in milli-amps).
Ok - from now on, I will follow a simple rule: "no need for a feedback resistor for unit gain unless the datasheet says it is needed". [smilie=a_reading.gif]