filtering gain in discrete stages

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

recently i was turned on to the Rat style gain filtering in Soulsonic's Hunny Bunny design. it seems like a good way to do some manipulation of frequencies in a different way besides other RC filtering methods.

i was wondering if it is possible to do this with a discrete gain stage, and if so, how. anybody have any examples of circuits that use this in a discrete fashion? attached is the Rat schematic for reference. the parts in question are the 560/4.7uF and 47/2.2uF to ground.
Attachments
ProCoRAT.GIF
ProCoRAT.GIF (10.85 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

The Hunny Bunny uses that technique twice. Once with the op-amp and again with the MOSFET (the "Honey" control is part of it) so yes you can use it in discrete stages.

See also BSIAB2, first gain stage.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i'm an idiot. i even asked SS about this in the HB thread and totally forgot about it. i think it kinda was late when i posted this topic. :oops:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

ok, i do have a question regarding this.

how does the order of the resistor and cap off the emitter come in to it? i tried this the other night, and the transistor wouldn't bias with the resistors attached to the transistor and then the caps to ground. i see in the hunny bunny there is one RC combo set up like this, but the one with the pot has the cap attached to the transistor and the pot to ground.

is there a rule regarding the order that comes into effect here in order for the transistor to bias up?

do you have to bias the transistor first and then do the filtering on the gain?
Attachments
HunnyBunny.GIF
HunnyBunny.GIF (29.48 KiB) Viewed 1610 times

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

do you have to bias the transistor first and then do the filtering on the gain?
Yes. DC bias has to be established before the transistor can operate predictably. In the Hunny Bunny, that's taken care of by 3 resistors and 3 separate DC sources. First, the 10k from drain to V+, then the 4k7 from source to GND, and finally the 1k to the op-amp output (which is presumably at 4.5V plus or minus the offset of the amplifier).

Once the "steady state" DC points are established, you can go hog wild with AC filtering. Adding AC paths from the source to ground will reduce "degenerative feedback" for those frequencies, which has the effect of increasing gain at those frequencies. They call this emitter or source "bypassing."
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I hope this is a useful addition to Earthtonesaudio contribution;

The reason your set up didn't work was because it left the transistor's emitter hanging, because the cap doesn't exist for the DC analysis, and it is like an open circuit. The order doesn't matter, for any case (Unless you have some node coming out of the R-C junction).
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

If you check out my recent overdrive project that I posted the structure control in that circuit is another example of this.

I am Klon.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

Fuzzer wrote:I hope this is a useful addition to Earthtonesaudio contribution;

The reason your set up didn't work was because it left the transistor's emitter hanging, because the cap doesn't exist for the DC analysis, and it is like an open circuit. The order doesn't matter, for any case (Unless you have some node coming out of the R-C junction).
yeah i figured that out.

got it all working nice. will post the schematic soon. sounds freakin fantastic.

thanks for the clarification guys.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO