LED Clipping Colors

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
mugician
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mugician »

What do the different colors sound like?

JHS
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JHS »

Buy some and check them. Depending on the manufacturer and LED-diameter even red LEDs can sound quite different.
JHS

Entrant_21
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Entrant_21 »

Its not the colour which makes them sound different remember, its the forward voltage.

mugician
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mugician »

Entrant_21 wrote:Its not the colour which makes them sound different remember, its the forward voltage.
Ah, I didn't know that. (New to electronics)

Thanks!

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

mugician wrote:
Entrant_21 wrote:Its not the colour which makes them sound different remember, its the forward voltage.
Ah, I didn't know that. (New to electronics)

Thanks!
https://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/inde ... FAQ#DIODES
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

rackham
Information

Post by rackham »

Green ones taste the best in my experience!

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

Red sounds warmer, green sounds more lush, blue sounds cooler, white is the most sonically transparent...

Just kidding.

Entrant_21 is spot-on about the forward voltage. LEDs have a "conduction knee" where at some low voltage, their resistance is high, then once you reach the forward voltage of the device, the resistance suddenly drops. It's not instantaneous, but more like a rounded-off bend, hence the term "knee." The sharpness of the bend partially determines the sound, as well as the voltage at which this occurs.

Different colors are typically made using different types of materials, which often have different forward voltages, conduction curves, etc. Actually, even the same color can be made of different materials and thus give a different response.

One thing that doesn't matter at all in terms of sound is the physical size of the LED. The inner parts are what matter.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.