Pete Cornish P-2 tone control

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: HI-WATT DR103
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

I've just read on Pete's site that the tone control in P-2 is a +14dB at 3kHz when fully counterclokwise and full harmonic content when fully clokwise. So I tried to make a schematic of that mid-boost tone control, and here it is:
https://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... rolbv5.png
I counted already a filter part for it, but still don't know how much gain it should have.

Here is the description of how the tone control knob should work.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/SAEP-2.html

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

I read the Cornish description and in reads 14db of "attenuation" at 3kHz. You mentioned +14db but it is actually -14db.

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information
Completed builds: Neo-Vibe, EH Big Muff Ram's Head, MXR Dynacomp, Demeter Compulator, Bk Butler Tube Driver, MXR Distortion +, Maxon OD880, MXR Phase 45, ProCo Rat, Colorsound Power Boost, BOSS CE-2, Rebote Delay 2.5, EH Electric Mistress, Fuzz Face, Tycobrahe Octavia, EH Pulsar. Custom made cabinet with 2x12" Celestion Vintage 30's.

Post by MWichni »

I don't think so.
Here is quote form thegearpage.net:
Oh, and I just remembered something about the P-2 tone control. Full clockwise it allowed for the full signal throughput. In other words, turned all the way up it would act like there wasn't a tone control.

Turned all the way back counter clockwise, it had a 14db boost at 3khz. While cutting the treble the same way as usual. Was a really odd tone control as I remember it. Wide open, it didn't really boost anything. But as you dial it back, it started taming the high grainy part of the signal, and adding midrange at 3khz. So that at 50% it had a nice warm tone, with a midrange hump at 3khz.

And that, my friends... is everything I know about the P2.

SO I guess it is a Big Muff Pi Ram Head with a buffer and that special tone control. At Full, no tone control at all. Full signal. At 50%, highs smoothed out, midrange boosted at 3khz by 5-7db. Tone all the way left, treble down, mids boosted to 14db at 3khz.

Does that sound possible? lol. Would probably just be easier to put a midrange boost knob on the thing that boosted 3Khz from 0 to 14db, with a standard tone control to control the highs.
Here is the link to the topic: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... khz&page=2

BTW Maybe Pete is making just passive filter which interacts with tone knob in the way that when it is fully clokwise it just attenuate hi and lo frequencies, and is transparent for the midrange at 3kHz?

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/SAEP-2.html

Read it yourself, somehow I doubt pete cornish got the description of the pedal he designed wrong. Id bet the dudes at TGP just have no idea what they're talking about, shit most guitarist have no idea what their gear is doing!
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

MWichni
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by MWichni »

Yeah I guess your right. So I am going to draw a 14dB attenuation at 3kHz.