Frequency Specific Gain Help

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

I had this idea, some one has probably done it before but I can not find any articles on it.

I have a Fuzz Face Clone that I built. I want to remove the 40 UF cap I have on the emitter of Q2 and replace it with some kind of a filter so I can either select only Lows or mids. so that I can boost the low end or mid-range gain. It's easy to get highs, but to block all the highs that's the problem.

I though maybe a low pass filter but that will not really work either because it still grounds the highs.

Maybe a Op amp low pass filter on the emitter?

thanks in advance for the help

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

anything Fellas? If it's a crazy idea just say so.

OC26
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by OC26 »

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

why not just use a switch to go between emitter caps?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

I had tried those and they work but, when I was experimenting with emitter caps I noticed that a small cap really pulled a lot of "treble gain" out of the circuit. I myself like a more "muddy" sound so I though If I could pull more bass gain out of it that would be cool but everything you do to filter highs out such as a low pass filter sends the signal to ground anyway resulting in treble gain too.

I was thinking if I could cancel it out before going to ground say with an op amp low pass filter that it might work.

I did build a transistor emitter follower that was set up with a pretty big cap in the feedback(collector to base) but what I noticed is that the bigger the cap got the more treble it passed just the opposite of what I thought would happen, shouldn't it filter and cancel out even more highs?

One cool thing to come out of it though was I was able to get some really cool trumpeting effects that I might experiment with latter but did not help me with the task at hand which is smooth fat bass gain with little or no treble gain.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

how about if you try the cap from C to B again, but take the output off of the collector instead of the emitter. this is a normal way to filter highs in circuits like the big muff etc.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

RnFR wrote:how about if you try the cap from C to B again, but take the output off of the collector instead of the emitter. this is a normal way to filter highs in circuits like the big muff etc.
Ya I have tried that, I've never really liked the sound of it. That's why I was trying something else. I think if I could get it to work it could be a great Tone Tweek but might just be unfeasible.

Thanks

I'll keep you posted if I come up with anything. :scratch:

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information

Here is were I got the idea of a Tranny on the emitter. Maybe with this schematic you guys can help me figure out if it would be possible to use it to filter out the high end gain.