Buffers and Fuzz

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

I have noticed that running my Rotovibe before my Big Muff that it intensifies the fuzz and makes it sound more like a Univox Super Fuzz or even a bit like a Fender Blender. I'm guess that it has something to do with the buffer circuit. After looking at the Schematics I've noticed that the Fender Blender and the Super Fuzz both have an octave stage that used the Emitter of the transistor. In a Buffer the Emitter is what is used instead of the collector.

So I know that when you take the output from an emitter you are getting Current gain only and no voltage gain. I think it is this Current gain that plays a big part in this over the top staticy Fuzz.

Q: What does high current gain do to the transistor following vs High Voltage Gain?

Q: Are there any other fuzzes that use this design and or are there any that could be adapted.

Thanks

I really like that sound and would like to experiment further.

-Leroy

HydrozeenElectronics
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Post by HydrozeenElectronics »

I have been thinking and I think this would work. could I build a standard Fuzz face scheme but instead drive Q2 with the Emiter of Q1 then instead of using the Emitter of Q2 for the Voltage Feedback Bias, I used the Collector of Q2 that way I maintain the same polarity.

Would it still Fuzz? would the fuzz be more or less intense?

Thanks

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

i want to say that you wouldn't be driving the second stage nearly as hard, but don't take my word for it. i'm thinking that the emitter follower before a fuzz is simply adjusting the impedance going into the next stage, allowing you to get a brighter, fuller tone, the same as what any buffer would do. if you want that kind of tone, i would just add a buffer before the fuzz instead of messing around with the actual design of the fuzz circuit. you would probably end up changing the clipping characteristics that you like in the first place.

but i'm no expert, put it on the breadboard! :wink:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO