Need help with change value of capacitor in tone control

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
login721
Information

Post by login721 »

Hello i making a TubeScreamer TS808 clone.
In the original schematic they use 2 0.22uF Tantalum capacitors, but i don't have them, so i replace with 0.22uF Mylar capacitors.The result is when i turn the ton pot up, i get noise and loud hiss.
Can i replace the 0.22uF Tantalum with 1uF Tantalum then change the value of some resistors to make the tone pot work ?This is the original schematic of tone part and my modified version .I not tested it yet because i have to order parts to build it.Can you please check it for me ? Thanks .I just want to change the c1 and c2 from 0.22uF to 1uF(witch i can buy in my country).
Thanks!

Sorry for my bad English.

Mr.Grumpy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

The mylar caps should sound as good or *better* than the tantalum caps. So I don't think your problem (noise and hiss) was caused by substituting mylar caps for tantalum caps. Almost any overdrive pedal will have some hiss and noise if the gain and treble are turned up.

looperstar
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Super-Sonic

Post by looperstar »

Could it be that you are looking to buy 0.22uF capacitors which is the same as 220n. Most suppliers I use would call it a 220n capacitor so it is possible that if you search for 220n you will find what you really need. 1uF is a massive difference to 220n and would sound totally different.

Hope this is of help.

JakeAC5253
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: '81 JCM800 2203
Completed builds: FET-Opamp based OD
JFET clean boost/OD
Extreme Fuzz for doom

Post by JakeAC5253 »

Try putting a 4k7 resistor across the outer connections of the tone pot and see if that makes the sweep much smoother.