Is this a lifted trace... or fixable?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
EightySix
Information

Post by EightySix »

Is this a lifted trace (the brown spot) or does 'lifted trace' mean the actual green film coming off the board?

Hi, Im new to the forum, and soldering on PCBs. Is this what lifted trace means, or do I just need to use different solder --(with flux in it?)-- that will stick to the board again? I was using regular electrical 60/40 solder with an adjustable iron @ about 35 watts. Instead of solder flowing around the lead, it started coming off. When I tried to re-form a pool/pad of solder, it wouldn't stick to the PCB??? :x The tip was hot, and clean.

I just need a pad of solder right there so I can stick a lead in it. Tell me there's something I can do, I was almost done!

jerrymcdougal
Information

Post by jerrymcdougal »

Looks to me like the plating has come off the pad. I'm no veteran, but I think to fix it you'll need to lightly scrape (with a razor blade or such) some of the green coating off of the trace until you see bare plating and then use that bare plating as your pad to solder to. Since the now bare plating isn't surrounding the hole, you'll need to finagle the leg of the component you're mounting in the hole so that you can solder to the trace. I hope that's clear. Good luck!