Resister Wattage

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
greaserrock
Information

Post by greaserrock »

Hi,

I am trying to build the hemmo/christian’s ultra simple bazz fuss circuit as suggested by Beavis Audio as a starter project. It asks for a 10k 1/4watt resister. On a whim I had previously bought some 10k 1/2 watt resisters. Can I use the 1/2 watt resisters? Are they like capacitors in that a higher amount than recommended is ok but a lower amount is not?

TubeDude22
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TubeDude22 »

Yes, it is safe to use 1/2 watt in place of 1/4 watt resistors in the circuit.

greaserrock
Information

Post by greaserrock »

Thank you! Much appreciated TubeDude22.

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

What's the difference between using a 1/4 watt and a 1/2 watt?

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

digitalzombie wrote:What's the difference between using a 1/4 watt and a 1/2 watt?
1/2 watt resistors are bigger, usually! :wink:

Actually, a circuit board designed for 1/8 watt or 1/4 watt resistors may not have room for a 1/2 watt resistor.

But to better answer your question.....if current is flowing through a resistor, then there is a voltage drop across
the resistor. That voltage drop multiplied by the current flowing through the resistor gives the wattage needed
by the resistor. The power in watts is given by the formula P=IE....P in watts, I in amps, E in volts.

For example if you used the formula to calculate the power rating of a particular resistor and found that it needed
to be .450 watts.....this would require at least a 1/2 watt resistor (probably really a 1 watt would be better). If
you used a 1/4 watt resistor instead, it would probably explode soon after power up!
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson