First Build Problems

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
whitebread47
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC15C1
Completed builds: Whoa! Put me on the spot there...err....um...I think I hear my mom calling.

Post by whitebread47 »

I just put together my first build. Well, I put together a BYOC Confidence Boost that worked. Anyways, this is a Fuzz Face circuit from Madbean.

I wired it up to test it but it just made noise. I know they say "rock it before you box it" but I just dropped it in the box and hand-tightened the pots, jacks, and footswitch in, as I was assuming it may be a ground issue without the metal enclosure (I do not have a testing rig as of yet but plan to purchase or build one). Inside the enclosure, the circuit worked. However, the enclosure had to be back down as it would be on a pedalboard to play, with the circuit facing me for biasing it just made a loud hum. FWIW, I had the enclosure, open-backed, sitting on a wooden table when it was working. I assume that the circuit itself is fine, as I'm getting sound and the gain increases with the pot normally. Any idea what to look at or resolder?

Also, with the pedal maxed out on volume it is nowhere near unity gain. The pot works, as I can clearly hear the volume taper.

Another question, how do I check the voltage to bias it with the internal bias trim? The instructions for my DMM were extremely vague and I'm a noob.