Triangle Big Muff not sustaining much.

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
generalkustard
Information
Completed builds: Big Muff Triangle and Ram's Head. Toneczar Openhaus 'clone'. Pearl PH01 phaser (from schematic)

Post by generalkustard »

I got it working last night and was happy for a while but after comparing it to originals on youtube I realized mine has nothing like the "violin like sustain" it should have but instead sounds hard edged and brittle with not enough gain. I first tried it out without the clipping caps (C6 & C7) and it sounded awful but things improved when I put a 1uf cap in as C7, however I didn't hear any change when I put in a 1uf cap as C6? which leads me to suspect that one of the gain stages isn't working, maybe a bad diode (D3 or D4). Any ideas
Attachments
CIRCUIT TRACE COMPONENT LISTsm.jpg

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Did you build it on a replica triangle board as you are displaying on the left?
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

I recommend you put the caps back and measure, then post the voltage readings for Collector Base and Ground of all 4 transistors here for us, please.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage