Wah Pedal Modding Question

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Nov Ice
Information

Post by Nov Ice »

Seen a trick where a guy changed the value of a wah pot by soldering a resistor from one lug of the pot to another. The idea is to lower the value of the pot. My question is what value of resistor do I need to make a 100k pot lower so it will be more like a bass wah where the pot is 20k instead of 100. Is this an easy way to get more bass out of my wah? I have an old colorsound wah and wanted to experiment with this idea before i do anything on the board because I am an absolute beginner.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

According to this page: http://www.1728.org/resistrs.htm a value of 33K would put you around 24K for the pot. This will mess with the taper of the pot however.

And on a completely different note, if that is a vintage Colorsound wah (like from the 70's), do yourself a favor and DONT MOD IT! Those sell for a good chunk of change on Ebay. You could see it and buy 3-4 new bass wah pedals that you could mod to your heart's content. Or keep it and save up and buy another (cheaper) wah to mod. Just my 2 cents, but if it were mine, I wouldn't touch that thing. I have picked up MANY used Crybaby/Vox for less than $40 bucks on ebay. You just have to be a little patient.

Nov Ice
Information

Post by Nov Ice »

I've had 2 this one has the little inductor while my old one had the 800mh and that one sounded better. This one sounds kind of thin which is not typical of a Colorsound. Could it be another issue with some old caps or something?

Nov Ice
Information

Post by Nov Ice »

I have read that it may need to be recapped. What kind of caqps do I need and what do they look like. I can post a picture of the circuit board if needed