Use _____ instead of 100k?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
lettuceprey
Information

Post by lettuceprey »

Hello all,

I'm tryin out a ghetto stomp build and realized I don't have 3 of the 100k linear pots the layout calls for. Here's what I have, perhaps someone could chime in and tell me what I could use/substitute to not change the sound too much but finish the build without ordering more pots. I'm not sure if I could wire some resistors to a different value pot and it work as 100k as I'm a noob.

I have:

B25k
B10k
A1k
B250k
B5k
A500k

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Paulrick wrote:Hello all,

I'm tryin out a ghetto stomp build and realized I don't have 3 of the 100k linear pots the layout calls for. Here's what I have, perhaps someone could chime in and tell me what I could use/substitute to not change the sound too much but finish the build without ordering more pots. I'm not sure if I could wire some resistors to a different value pot and it work as 100k as I'm a noob.

I have:

B25k
B10k
A1k
B250k
B5k
A500k
You cannot increase the resistance of the taper, only decrease it by wiring a resistor in parallel. But in fact this is unnecessary as a 250k pot wil do exactly the same thing as 100k pot (i.e. provide variable resistance between 0R en 100k -- but even more). Wiring resistor value of 100k where you have a 100k pot will give you 0 gain (or volume or whatever the pot controls), so it's better to wire 25k-50k-75k resistors in that spot. But you have to listen and adjust.
Another suggestion: lose all pots and attach the wires together, except the master volume: use the 500k. All pots other pots will be at max now.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal