Ground and Metal Enclosures?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
roncg41677
Information

Post by roncg41677 »

I'm finishing up my Fuzz Face project, and want to make sure I've got the ground working correctly. If I test for continuity from the sleeve of one of the jacks and the inside of the metal enclosure I get a beep. Is this normal? Am I understanding correctly that a metal enclosure by nature will be connected to ground if the jacks aren't plastic?

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Hi roncg,

Your assumption is correct - as long as the paint (or lacquer) doesn't prevent the jack from connecting to the enclosure.

I personally would not rely on this contact to provide the low side of the supply to your circuit - because if your jack should come loose, you'll end up with crackles - or no sound at all. I'd always make sure the circuit had a grounding wire to the sleeve contact of the jack.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

roncg41677
Information

Post by roncg41677 »

Okay, thank you. I had a ground wire giving me grief, and wanted to make sure the issue wasn't ground related.