what is the best way to connect LED

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
ratz4
Information

Post by ratz4 »

What is the best way to connect the LED to the circuit; should I solder directly to the leads? Just want to know the the best practice

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I snip the first leg to about 15mm and use pliers to bend the end of the leg over to form a loop: Tin the end of some stranded wire, and bend the tinned end over into another loop, then hook the loops together. I then use pliers to crimp the hooked ends together to hold them while I solder the connection. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll drop a short length of heatshrink tubing over the exposed metal at the join. Repeat with the other leg. I find it best to do one leg at a time, and use black wire for the negative leg and another colour for the positive to avoid putting the LED into the circuit backwards by mistake. Not sure if it's good practice, but works well for me.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Nocentelli wrote:I then use pliers to crimp the hooked ends together to hold them while I solder the connection. . . Not sure if it's good practice, but works well for me.
When I was learning the ropes as an electronic wireman, I was taught that a joint should be mechanically secure before soldering. So it seems that your method IS good practice. :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook