First Pedal: Pinecone Overdrive

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
tonecut
Information

Post by tonecut »

I've been lurking long enough, so I thought I would celebrate my first pedal by engaging in the forums finally. :)

Forewarning: I learned to solder 2 weeks ago, so the gut shot may induce vomiting among seasoned pros.

Here are some pictures:

Gut shot:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved here, otherwise I wouldn't have found the info I was lurking for. ;)

That said...anyone see areas for improvement?

Some things that make sense to me would be:
- Stamp letters and cut holes more precisely.
- Use shrink tubing on the LED joins.

Other thoughts?

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

That looks pretty sweet for a first build. :applause:

My first pedals looked like spaghetti stuffed in a box LOL. My proto-types still do!!!
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

tasteless
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tasteless »

That looks great - I love the pinecone graphic !
Can't say I've ever been a fan of red knobs But , I couldn't imagine that pedal with anything else.

Looks like You've had a little bit of trouble getting the solder to take on the jack socket tabs.
Don't be scared to get a bit of heat into them before applying the solder.
Also , Some items like that can benefit from being 'scuffed up' a bit , with an emery board or a scrap of sand paper - And cleaned with a cotton tip and alcohol.
I clean the leads and tabs on everything - But , I'm like that.
Otherwise - Well done.
More importantly , How does it sound ?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

That looks great! Must be the Instagram :wink:
No, but really, good job for a first build. I think I need to up my game to not embarrass myself.
How did you finish the pedal, just use regular stamps with ink and clearcoat over?
tonecut wrote:- Use shrink tubing on the LED joins.
That's a good idea, makes everything look even more neat.

tonecut
Information

Post by tonecut »

bato001: Thanks for the kind words!

tasteless: Thanks for the advice. I've been turned onto doing more linking next time around via the ground strip of the board and via general linking from lug to lug, etc. I think that'll help with the "let's solder 5 leads to one sleeve tab" issue I ran into this first time around. Oh, and for the how does it sound? Pretty darn good!

Seiche: For the finish, I used StazOn ink and rubber stamps. Worked out beautifully and no clear coat, as I don't mind the worn look and the ink holds up really well over time. I kind of like that about the stamps.